Falling from Heaven

They stood in a room so like the one they'd found themselves in before that Shirong almost panicked. The same bright hangings, score upon score of fine colorful fabric hangings, in a grand hall supported by pillars of red lacquered wood. Beasts coiled around those pillars; a green dragon, a white tiger, a vermilion bird and a black tortoise. The symbols of the four kingdoms.

Shirong cudgeled his old memories. Ah, that was right. The green dragon for Khai, the white tiger for Pamir, the vermilion bird for Houttan and the black Tortoise for Bazi. Should there be a fifth pillar and a fifth beast, a Kirin? Or was that something that would come later, in a different place and time? It could get so confusing when one's lived a second life in the far distant future.

At first Shirong thought the beasts were carvings but one - the black tortoise - moved as they stepped through, turning its head to look at them.

"Oh crap," he muttered. "Not again."

At the same time, in a voice loud enough to conceal his curse, the tortoise shouted, "The Chosen and the Adversary have come. All greet. All greet. All greet!"

Softly, Shun Shixiong whispered, "Watch your language, Shidi."

Just this once it would have been good if the things Shirong muttered from his future life wouldn't translate. But 'crap' was obviously not such a term. Hell, it was even used the same way. Glad he hadn't said something about grass horses, he bit his lip and bowed in his Shixiong's direction. "Shidi knows he's wrong."

"Just mind your manners. I think this place really is Heaven."

That was probably true. Having experienced the fake, Shirong sensed the difference without much effort. There was an energy here of a sort that hadn't been present before. It felt familiar, like it was part of him. Was this why he was considered Chosen? Could he manipulate it?

Even as he thought that, the images around him shifted, took on a momentary vision of a vast, cloudy, realm, with a perfect blue sky. It shifted back again quickly and the turtle said reproachfully, "The Chosen should refrain from calling on his powers in this place. The Adversary as well."

To Shirong's surprise, Shun Shixiong actually sniggered. "Isn't the Chosen the one who's supposed to provide order to the world? So why is it everything you do creates the exact opposite?"

Shirong ducked his head, suddenly and horribly embarrassed. "Shidi is sorry, Shixiong. He is ignorant and foolish."

A light hand on his shoulder startled him. "Ignorant, yes. But so am I. As for foolish, you've been doing your best to make up for your predecessor's mistakes."

Those words sent a chill straight through Shirong. He still hadn't told his Shixiong the truth about himself. He dreaded the moment when he had to tell his Shixiong. And, in truth, he couldn't not tell his Shixiong. In a bit. When they were alone. Because right that moment they had to deal with whatever Heaven had in store for them.

Taking a deep breath, he returned his attention to the tortoise, guessing it was their spokesperson because they came from Bazi. "Respect, great one. I am ignorant and inexperienced and ask forgiveness for my failure to control myself."

"Hmph." Something about the black turtle's scoff reminded Shirong of the white turtle he'd met earlier. This wasn't the time to ask, but he wondered if there was a relationship. Then he focused as the black turtle continued, "Well, you two are here a great deal earlier than you're supposed to be. You haven't even completed your tribulations, so I suppose your lack of control is only to be expected."

Now it was Shun Shixiong who bowed. "Elder Zhi Ming, forgive our rush to enter this realm. We were trapped and had no other path to walk."

Another hmph, one that sent a burst of warm and slightly fishy air past their faces, setting their hair flying. Before the turtle could say more, however, the tiger carving shifted. Grumbled. "Oh, stop picking on them, Zhi Ming. If they'd finished their tribulations they wouldn't be trapped at all. So obviously they didn't have a choice."