Covention Part 1

You look over at Lilith and smile, lost in thought. The two of you have been dating for twenty-six years now. Twenty-six! Most relationships barely last a few years, especially ones that start in school. But you've made the best of your time together, especially since it's so rare now that you actually get to have a nice date like this. A secret relationship does have its downfalls, you suppose, but being co-leaders of the Emperor's Coven allows you both to still spend plenty of time together. Just... platonically rather than romantically. You see, Emperor Belos isn't a huge fan of the gays, so in order to keep your jobs, you and Lilith must pretend to be only friends while at the Coven.

Lilith's mirror rings, snapping you out of your little daydream, and she climbs out of bed to pick it up. You scramble out of the bed too, as when Lilith's mirror rings it is usually Kikimora who calls. With her direct link to the Emperor, you have to make sure that Kiki doesn't see you and Lilith together. Lilith unwrinkles her dress and opens the mirror, but you get caught in frame for a split second and Kiki immediately knows that someone else is in the room.

"Was that Co-Head Coven Leader Y/N I saw in the background just now?" Kikimora inquires. You blanch when your name is said and quickly use magic to transform your features so that you look like just another member of the Boiling Isles. Lilith sees you out of the corner of her eye and goes along with what you just did.

"O-of course not, Kikimora. That is in fact a... bounty hunter that I hired to aid you in the capture of my sister," Lilith lies. You smile in your ensured safety, because Lilith's explanation made perfect sense. Lilith's sister Edalyn, more commonly known as Eda the Owl Lady, has been public enemy number one for Titan knows how long. She has committed many crimes, such as owning a stand without a permit (she sells collectibles from the human realm, why anyone would want to buy that is beyond you) and owning a hocus without a pocus, but the biggest offense is that she has refused to join a coven.

Ever since the Emperor rose to power, there has been a coven system and it is the law that every witch must join one. Wild witches, such as Edalyn, are tracked down and made to join a coven, but Edalyn has slipped from your grasp for so long. Emperor Belos is nearly at the end of his rope with you and Lilith for failing to capture her time and time again. He hasn't threatened either of you yet, but you have a feeling that it will happen soon.

  Kikimora and Lilith continue to talk, which you find a little unusual. Kiki is very to the point, so when she calls there isn't much idle chatter. Lilith must be steering around a topic, probably either the topic of who you are or the topic of Edalyn's failed captures. Finally, you hear Kiki arrive at something altogether different.

"You and Co-Head Coven Leader Y/N are to present today at Covention at precisely 2:15 PM. You are to arrive at 2 and stay until 4:30. See you soon, and Lilith, bring the bounty hunter with you. I'd like to meet her." Kiki hangs up and Lilith and you just stare at each other. Kiki was definitely onto you, and you know that you need to do something before she tattles to the Emperor. You decide that illusions would be our best bet, but Kiki would see right through if we tried to make the bounty hunter an illusion. In the end, Lilith arrives at the idea that you'll make yourself into the bounty hunter, then cast an illusion of yourself to help her with the presentation. Lilith will carry the show, but your illusion being there will at least make it seen more even.

Lilith decides to leave first, so it doesn't look too awkward. You give her a kiss on the cheek for luck, and she hops on her staff and heads toward Covention. Once she's out of your sight, you teleport outside the house and act like you just happened to be passing by Lilith's house walking down the street towards the Covention building. Checking the time reveals that it's 1:45, and you need to pick up the pace. You summon your staff and hop on.

     Soaring over the Isles is always fun. You can see the bustling streets and marketplace stands, or at least on a normal day you can. Today, the Isles are a ghost town. Anyone and everyone is at Covention. The Covention building grows and grows until you've arrived right in front of it. You're so lost in thought that you almost run into it, but realize just in time and swerve down to the ground. You check the time again. 1:55. Perfect.

For once, nobody notices you as you walk down the isles of Covention. What they do notice is the illusion you cast of yourself heading towards the presentation area. People beg for autographs, and your illusion is happy to oblige. Turning your attention away from the crowds, you begin to look for the place Lilith asked you to meet her and Kikimora. She said behind the booth of the Construction Coven because no one would overhear there. You make it there just as Kikimora is dismissing Lilith to prepare for the performance. She gives you the tiniest of nods, and you return it with the tiniest of smiles.

"Ah, you must be the bounty hunter Head Coven Leader Lilith has informed me of," Kikimora said, "My name is Kikimora, assistant of Emperor Belos himself." You laugh internally because Kiki sounds so full of herself, and then you realize that you are expected to say something in response. Because you're not yourself right now, you take a gander to say something snarky.

"Sounds impressive, Miss Kikimora. Tell me, are you above or below the two head coven leaders?" Kiki looks confused, and you take the opportunity to throw in the joke. "In rank I mean. The answer regarding height is obviously yes." Kiki stares at you with a look that either says 'don't disrespect someone who is directly connected to the emperor' or just 'how dare you'. You can't resist another mean joke and besides, the point is to get Kikimora to fire you so you don't have to keep leading the double life.

"Awwwww, gonna go tell Lilith not to hire you because I hurt your fragile little ego?" you ask in semi-baby talk. Apparently, you took it too far. Kikimora looks like she might explode. You check the time quickly and see that it's 2:10. If you can annoy her fast enough, maybe you'll still be able to make it to the Coven Presentation.

"Actually, that is exactly what I'll do," Kikimora responds, surprising you a little. "In response to your question before, I am above the Co-Heads in rank, so I could do it easily. Say goodbye to the job opportunity of a lifetime." You shrug and say goodbye, already running towards the theater where the presentation is taking place. If you hurry faster than you ever have before, you can make it in time.