Memory Lane

You know exactly where you want to start. your very first day at Hexside Academy for Magic and Demonics. You walk forward, scanning the windows until you spot little baby Y/N, heading off for her first day of school. Her eyes shine bright with excitement and a thirst for knowledge, her legs pump fast as she runs to catch the bus, her hair flies back, tousled by a passing gust of wind. You sigh, missing the days when you were so sweet and carefree, running off to the baby class with all your best friends. You don't even notice a few tears trickling down your cheeks at the thought of how you once were.

Entering the memory, you follow baby you to the bus where she hops on and smiles her gap-toothed smile at everyone she sees. Two little girls with bright orange and bright red hair smile back, and the orange-haired one invites young you to sit with them.

"I'm Edalyn, but you can call you Eda! And this is my sister Lilith," Eda points to Lilith who has her nose buried in a book about magic adventures, "Say hi Lily!" Lilith looks up and gives a shy wave. Young you smiles so wide that it looks like half her face is teeth and pulls both of them in a hug, expressing her sentiments and hopes that the three of them will become the best of friends.

"I'm Y/N, by the way! Y/N L/N. It's super nice to meet you!" Young you says, finally letting the Clawthorne sisters go. You sit behind the young you, wanting desperately to hug her close and stroke her hair. She is just so precious. Watching young you interrogate Edalyn and Lilith is quite funny. You were so energetic back then. Young you learns a lot on that bus ride, such as that her family is one of high status, the ages of the Clawthornes, what Hexside is like, what coven track they are in, and that she is their first non-pre-arranged friend.

Young you smiles, only understanding some of what Edalyn is telling her while Lilith sits quietly reading her book. Wanting to interact with the one the same age as her too, young you asks Lilith what book she's reading, and they spend the rest of the bus ride talking about it.

Young you thoroughly enjoys school that day and can't wait for the next day because Lilith promised that they would make a book club just for the two of them. When young you gets home, mother is standing in the doorway waiting for her. One would think that after your first day of school, your mother would ask how it went, but the first words out of her mouth were about socializing with other high-class children. You were only six years old at the time of this memory.

Wishing you could relive your entire childhood, you sadly move on to another memory. You were six at the time of this memory too, a few months after starting Hexside. Edalyn, Lilith, and young you run through a forest enjoying all being allowed outside together. Lilith is leading, young you is a little bit behind her, and Edalyn is in hot pursuit. But she's running a little bit too fast and trips over a rock in the trail. Her cries catch Lilith's and young you's attention, and you both turn back to help her. She scraped her knee, tearing her yellow potion track uniform, and you guess she must have been a pain-sensitive child because her cries were earsplitting. Young you runs behind her and gives her a hug to try and comfort her, while Lilith does something young you had never heard before: Verbal Magic. You see, most magic is done by a witch using the sac of magic bile attached to their heart to draw a colored circle in the air, which then completes the spell. But Lilith performs this spell with words rather than a circle.

"With this spell declared, let the pain be shared," Lilith says, pressing her forehead to Edalyn's. There is a flash of light, and you see that after, Lilith has a cut on her knee too, and the one on Edalyn's must hurt less. Now that you think about it, verbal magic might be the way for that human girl. Had she not chosen Edalyn of all people to be her mentor, maybe you'd be willing to share that tidbit of information.

     The three young girls run off into the distance, and you think back on what you thought a little while ago. Why shouldn't you relive your childhood? You are here after all, and you have been showing no signs of going back to normal reality yet. You decide to just enjoy it while it lasts and follow those three girls. Knowing exactly where they're going makes that quite easy. You, Edalyn, and Lilith had a tree fort right in the heart of the forest. Building it was the very first thing the three of you did using a specific technique of magic that you learned. It's called sharing magic. When two or more people share a strong bond, such as you, Edalyn, and Lilith did, their magic can complement each other's making it stronger for all participants. You three discovered this technique at a very young age and never told anyone else, going as far as to make an unbreakable oath that the treehouse would fall apart if you ever told anyone about how you made it. You know no one has ever told, because the treehouse still stands today. Sometimes you visit it when nostalgia overwhelms you.