A Fractured Friendship (Child Y/N)

Two weeks later, you wake up with both a sense of dread and an unrelenting happiness. Both of these emotions happen to be caused by the same event: being allowed to talk to the Clawthorne sisters again. You're happy, of course, because they're your best friends and you can't wait to see them again, but you're also dreading it because you're worried how they'll react to you returning after two weeks of ignoring them. Every time they tried to talk to you in the halls or invite you to hang out after school, you hurried away and pretended not to have heard. It hurt you to see the looks on their faces, especially on Lilith's, so you stopped looking at them entirely to spare yourself the guilt. It might not have been the best move, but at the time it was all you could think of. After a week, the two just stopped talking to you entirely. You pretended like that was fine, and you ignored each other, but finally today you would have a chance to explain everything.

Arriving at Hexside, the first thing you notice is that Eda and Lily are surrounded by another group of students wearing grey uniforms. Or rather, Eda is surrounded and Lily is standing a little awkwardly off to the side. Looks to you like they managed to make new friends while you weren't hanging out with them, but that doesn't stop you from approaching them. As soon as Lily sees you, she runs off. Eda doesn't even notice you, or if she does she doesn't show it, and continues talking and laughing with the students dressed in grey. You pretty much expected this reaction, but it still hurts to see your best friends shun you of their own will.

Seeing it as the best way to tackle this, you go after Lily first. She was the one you were closer with, and it was evident from the way she was standing outside of Eda's circle that she didn't bounce back quite as quickly. You follow the path that Lily took and find her right where you expected to: her sad spot. Lilith Clawthorne's sad spot actually became something of a legend later in your lives, but at the time this happened it was just the spot your friend Lily hid in when she needed to be alone. You crouch behind some bushes and take in the small clearing. You had forgotten how beautiful it was with all the pink, red, and orange trees surrounding a small bench backed up against a brick wall. It used to be a part of Hexside before renovations took that building down.

While shifting your weight to a more comfortable position, you accidentally brush the bush and snap a small branch. Lily looks up and sees you, and you lock eyes for what was most likely only a second but feels like forever. She sees your pleading face and sits back down, an unspoken understanding passing between you in that moment. You climb out of the bushes and sit down next to Lily, putting an arm around her that she proceeds to brush off.

"Why did you do it?" Lily asks, before you have a chance to say anything. You know what she's referring to, obviously, but sit in silence contemplating your answer. The simple thing to say would be that Mother made you do it, but just an explanation probably won't cut it. Still, that's all you can come up with so you say it anyway. Lily nods, but you can tell she doesn't understand, so you proceed to explain what happened the night of your big adventure. Lily listens in shock as you tell her what Mother made you do and how she thinks the Clawthornes are bad influences.

"But it doesn't- it doesn't matter what she says. I wanna be best friends with you and Eda forever!" you finish. Lily smiles sadly at you, knowing how much courage it will take you to stand up to Mother on this point, especially after following her advice for the past two weeks and staying away from them. Having nothing else to say, you lean in and wrap your arms around Lily as an apology. When you feel her arms around your body as well, you know she accepts. Your friendship might not end up being the same as it was before, but you think that this may have actually strengthened it for the future.

The bell rings to signify class starting, and you and Lily walk together, hand in hand. You spend the entirety of the period thinking about how glad you are that the two of you reconciled, but you know what the next step is. You have to apologize to Eda. Because she's younger, you don't think that Eda will really understand what happened, so an apology and explanation may not work. Plus, it looks like Eda has already moved on with her new friends, and you're worried that she won't see you the same anymore. Putting your worries aside, you focus on classwork for the remainder of the period before heading off to find Eda once you can.

Once again, Eda is surrounded by the students in grey. Lily had told you during class who they were, and everything made much more sense once things had been explained. It turns out that Eda was so upset about you ignoring her that she began to act out and landed herself in the detention track. The students in grey were other troublemakers that Eda had gotten into many fun antics with while you had been avoiding her. As you approach them, the detention track students notice and form kind of a protective bubble around Eda. They glare at you, and you realize that Eda must have told them about you and what you did. You sigh, this was going to be harder than you thought.

When you finally reach the bubble, Eda is gone. Turns out that they were covering her escape rather than trying to protect her. With Eda safely gone, the detention kinds turn on you and surround you. You cry out, knowing that they're going to swarm you in revenge for their friend. Just before the first spell hits you, a shield goes up. Lily. You see her off to the side, spell circle glowing blue in front of her. The detention track kids look around in confusion, wondering why Lily would protect you after you hurt both her and Eda. Calling out the name of one of the detention kids, Rienna, Lily explains to her that you didn't mean to hurt Eda and just need a chance to explain yourself. Reluctantly, Rienna directs you to a secret passage where you will supposedly find Eda. You thank her and step inside.

The secret passage is dark, but you can faintly make out the figure of Eda sitting in the shadows with her head in her hands. You walk towards her cautiously. When she lifts her head to look at you, you can tell that she's been crying, and you feel a pang of guilt. Thankfully, Eda doesn't run away. She looks like she's ready to hear what you have to say.

"Eda, I'm sorry, I just-" you start, but she cuts you off.

"I know." You look at her with confusion. She may know that you're sorry, but how would she know what you were about to say unless... "These passages connect to all over the school. I know this sounds weird, but I've been following you around all week since the other students introduced me to the tunnels. I saw everything: you talking with your mom, you writing in your journal, even you talking to Lily earlier. Nothing that happened was your fault, I just needed you to follow me in here so I can show you something." You smile at your friend, whose look of sadness has been replaced with one of mischievous excitement. Eda continues talking, telling you how she knew you'd never have broken the rules to go in the tunnels if she had asked, so the only way to get you in was to trick you.

You laugh. Classic Eda, always trying to get you and Lily to break the rules. She had a permanent record a mile long and she was only eight. Taking your hand, Eda leads you through the tunnels and shows you everything she found while hiding in here. It is fun, you have to admit, being able to run and laugh with your friend again. Mother may have meant to drive a rift between you, but now the three of you are back and stronger than ever. You only stop exploring with Eda when you hear the scream of the school bell, and you have to rush to class.

After school, you meet up with Lily and Eda at the gate like you used to do. The three of you link arms and run into the forest, together once more and ready to take on anything the world throws your way.