Chapter 40

Chapter 40

NATE’S POV

Not long after, Jane fell on an uneasy slumber with her back arching in an uncomfortable angle so her head was on the bed. I asked her to sleep on the couch but she refused, heck, she even fought her drooping eyes as hard as she could. My chest pained as my eyes wandered next at my daughter’s meek face. My daughter has a blood disease. God, I don’t think I’m ready to know what type of blood disease it is but I’m praying it wouldn’t be something that is life threatening.

Jane stirred from her sleep and mumbled under her breath. I reached out to tuck a loose hair to her ear and my fingers lingered on the silky smooth skin of her cheek. She was pale. I imagined many scenarios in my head on how I was going to ask her to marry me, but none of those was close enough to this. Just when I finally had the guts to settle down and ask the girl I love for her 'I do' did this things have to happen.

I looked at my wristwatch; it was already quarter to ten. I started rubbing the knotted muscles on my shoulders and I massaged my temple to ease the tension, this has been a very long day. The door opened and I turned to look who it was. Jane's mom closed the door behind her with a click and doubled upon seeing me there. I stood up quietly and made my way to her, I think the last time I saw her was during her birthday and months had passed already since then.

"Jesus, what happened to my granddaughter?" She prattled once I was standing in front of her, her face had this worry lines and her eyes kept on shooting glances behind me, where her daughter and granddaughter were sleeping. I gave her a small smile, 'cause I couldn't say that there's nothing wrong to Nath, when there is.

"They are asleep, have a seat." I stirred her towards the cream upholstered sofa and she sat down, took off her fur coat and unwounded her scarf.

"I received this call from Connor he said that Jane and Nath were in the hospital. Tell me there's nothing wrong." She said in a frantic soft voice and I could understand her panic, especially the frustration of not knowing what was happening. I didn't know that Connor was already informed about this, I'm sure he knew even before me. Jane must have called him first; of course, he was and would always be the best man in her life. Not only he was her best friend, he was also an ex-lover. That thought brought another pang of jealousy, I shook my head, and I shouldn't dwell on insignificant matters.

"The doctor had talked to us; he suspects that Nath has a blood disease though it wasn't confirmed yet." She choked a gasp and covered her mouth with trembling gloved hands.

"Oh my poor baby, blood disease? Oh God." She cried, I found it awkward to comfort her, as if I didn't have the right to do so.

"Mom, how long have you been here?" I turned to see Jane standing from the chair and grimaced as she straightened her back. She stood beside me and before I knew it, we were hand in hand. She held my hand as if it was the most natural thing in the world, as if we were together. Her warm, soft flesh sent a buzz in my heart and it felt good, I wanted to sigh in relief but I refrained from doing so, instead, I tightened my grip on her hand. Why I did that, I don't know. Lauren eyed our joined hands with apprehensive eyes before she looked up at our faces with a satisfied smile lurking behind her maintained worried face.

"I just arrived. You, young girl should have called me right away!" Lauren said in a stern motherly voice and I felt Jane cringe beside me. I took a tentative step forward; I just felt this protective demeanour inside me.

"Lauren, please understand that she didn't really had the time to call you or me for that matter. Please, let's just drop that you should've called me and stuff." I said, I wasn't in the mood for a row so I used my most persuasive voice.