Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I watched as the early morning sun bathed Nate’s blonde hair, tucked on his arm was my daughter. Her shiny jet-black hair with its natural curly tips was splayed on the grass-covered earth, whilst her head was on his arm. Their eyes were closed and their lips were settled in a peaceful smile, it was as if everything around them was carefree, as if they drifted around a peaceful current. I stood few paces away from them and smiled in contentment. This was the happiness I have been wishing for, the feeling of warmth that seemed to stay permanently and the teary sensation nudging my eyes as I looked at them.

My eyes wandered on the picturesque view in front of me with them being the subject of its immeasurable beauty. The lake was beautiful as it reflected the blue hued sky above us, covering us from all the unpleasantness the world has to give. The trees swung rhythmically against a melody a heart could only hear. The mossed dock completed the vintage image before me; this lake has never changed since the last time I have been here.

The first time I had been here, it took my breath away as it was the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. It was Nate who brought me here back then during our first date. It was as beautiful as ever and it was fairy tale like, especially that moment while we basked under the moonlight and talked almost about everything, uncaring of the world outside from our own little bubble. We were childish and young but the love we shared was as real as the world. Many things have happened after that, we broke apart, we almost fell out of love, and maybe he did. But I never stopped loving him; he was my life and would always be.

Slowly, Nath’seyes, which were framed with thick long lashes, fluttered open and her gaze landed on me. It was full of promises that my heart swelled in anticipation at what extent could my heart expand to accommodate all this arising hope and happiness inside my chest. She stood before me, her childish and playful smile beckoning me to step forward and close the distance before us, and so I did.  Imagine looking at a cheerful colored wall, you couldn’t help but sag in relaxation and smile out of nowhere; it was like that when I looked at her face.

I crouched in front her and she reached out to touch my face with her tiny hands. She smiled ruefully that it tugged my heart. Her pretty smile was tinged with sadness and apology. “Why?” I said but no words came out from my mouth. I was confused as my eyes dropped on the ground for a fraction of second but when I looked at her again, she was already walking away from me. She took hesitant steps and I tried to call out to her but not so surprisingly I still couldn’t speak, then she spoke, “I already told Him I’m not a good girl because I make my mommy cry... I said please don’t take me away from mommy and daddy because they’ll get sad but he just smiled at me... I’m scared; I don’t want to be lonely... Nath don’t want to be alone...” she was talking with her soft little voice, tears evident from her tone as she sniffed. I wanted to see her face but she was looking away from me, her back turned at me. I tried to go to her but I was rooted from where I stood.

I was helpless I could only watch while she disappeared from my sight, hot trail of tears trickling down my cheek to the ground underneath me. Why was I crying? What was this heartbreaking sensation inside my chest?

I was scared shitless but I didn’t know why.

I scanned the place but Nate was nowhere to be seen, he was missing too and more grief settled inside my chest. I wanted to rip my heart out of my chest just to free myself from the wretchedness inside my chest. This was awful and I was so scared that my knees buckled under my weight and sobs broke from my mouth. They could take away everything from me but not my family, not my heart.