Chapter 33

I gasped upon seeing Nate lying unconsciously on the floor with half of his body slumped on the bed. I ran towards him as my heart thundered on my chest.

"Nate! Hey!" I said with panic dripping with every word, but he was not responding, his breathing was a bit labored but he did not have any wounds. Many thoughts reeled in my brain as I slapped his face waking him up, but then my skin touched his and I felt him burning.

He was having a fever. I let out a breath of relief, thanking God that it was not as scary as I thought. I tried waking him up again but he was unresponsive so I pulled him up to his king-sized bed, grunting as I did. In my defense, he weighed like an elephant!

I wiped the sweat on my forehead and briefly smiled to my accomplishment, at least he was more comfortable now. I tucked him underneath his blanket and wiped his forehead, he was sweating profusely and his face was flushed.

His brows were knitted together and his lips were slightly pursed, I realized I was watching as his chest rose and fell rhythmically. I snapped out from my state and mentally scolded myself I should really get going. I stood up and walked to the door, but my mistake was that I looked back.

He was sick and no one was here to take care of him... Should I call his mom? I knew I should have called his mom but maybe a selfish nerve on my brain prevailed over my rationality because I did not call her. I made my way back to him and sat on the edge of the bed.

Could I stay by his side only for this moment? While he was asleep, could I let my heart win over my brain which was screaming ‘you are hurting Connor.’

My fingers grazed on his smooth skin towards his light stubble... I missed him so much... too much that my heart sank whenever I saw him yet could not reach him.

He stirred from his sleep and I quickly snatched my hand away then stood up abruptly. His eyes fluttered open and he squinted, he lifted his hand to rub his eyes. Slowly, his gazed flicked on me making my heart leap on my mouth. He looked at me confused and unbelieving, his eyes were warm and he looked as vulnerable as he stared at me with so much emotions.

A rueful smile shadowed his face as if he was smiling from a private joke.

"I missed you..." He croaked and my heart started drumming on my rib cage, I placed my hand over my chest stupidly trying to suppress it.

I was speechless; I just stared at him dumbfounded as he drew a shaky breathe and gestured me to come towards him. Did he think I was just an illusion or a dream? Why would he do this if he were in his right mind?

“What? Are you afraid Connor will get mad?” he asked with a deep frown on his face, slowly, I made my way back at the edge of the bed. What if he realized I was not really a hallucination.

He caressed my cheek sending my nerves on frenzy and making my hairs stand on edge, just a touch from him and he could make me feel like electrocuted.

“Why did you leave me?” he choked as he stopped stroking my face with the back of his hand and placed it over his eyes. Was he sleep talking or what?