Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

The phone beside me rang and I answered it hastily.

"Goo—"

"Bring me a cup of coffee." Nate said from the other line and ended the call. Moody much?

"Bring me a cup of coffee." I mimicked him, scrunching my nose and I heard a snort beside me making me jump from surprise. I looked up and saw Faye smiling wickedly at me. I returned the handset in the receiver and sighed. 

Seriously?

"Our boss is moody, huh." I joked and Faye laughed, catching Genie's attention, just exactly what I needed. Genie made her way in my cubicle from her space and sat at my table, allowing her to get cozy.

"He's dreamy, though!" Genie said dramatically making us giggle.

"I second you to that." Faye interjected. Girls, girls, girls. I smiled at them knowing exactly what they were all about. I spent my high school life with Nate and during that time, I watched him grow to someone who was very attractive and could charm his way through everything. But it was just the tip of the iceberg also known as Nathaniel Hughes. I knew that he was just more than what he looked like; he was greater than the man who could charm his way probably to just any women’s pants.

But maybe the Nathaniel that I knew was now different, things change and I was pretty sure so was he.

"Are you not affected by his overwhelming charm?" Genie asked, looking at me disbelievingly. If only they knew.

"You're not?" Faye asked me, slightly aghast and I just laughed at their faces not bothering to answer them. The phone rang again stopping me from laughing and so I picked it up, putting a finger in my lips, hushing the giggling gossip girls.

"Where's the coffee I asked?" Nate snapped and he ended the call. I frowned at the innocent phone, looking for answer as to why this was happening to me. Genie and Faye just shrugged.

"I'll get his coffee, guys." I made my way to the office pantry and made the coffee. After that I made my way to his office and knocked. I rapped in the wooden door when his muffled voice invited me to come in.

I walked towards his table, placed the cup of coffee on the side and waited. He was working on some new project and was very busy. He took the cup and took a sip. He stilled for a while and returned the cup to the saucer, frowning.

"Did I make it too sweet?" I asked frowning at the cup, mentally checking if I added another scoop of sugar absentmindedly, I tend to do that sometimes.

"It's exactly how I wanted it." I nodded and made my way towards the door. It was such a relief, perhaps the frown was about him thinking for a reason to scold me or just to annoy me, knowing Nate, it wasn’t impossible. A frown marred my brows from where my thoughts were going. Did I still know him like the way I knew him back then?

I was about to exit when he spoke.

"You still know how I want my coffee, Ms. Smith." He stated in as a matter of fact tone and I stiffened. He was right and I didn't even realize it. I put two teaspoons of sugar and creamer in his coffee, just like how I always did six years ago. I didn't respond and continued my way outside his office.

I made a beeline towards my cubicle and wished the day to end. I arranged the documents regarding the project the firm was currently engaged in and when I checked what time it was, it was almost six thirty.

"Jane, dear," Kathy called my attention as she walked in my cubicle.

"Oh, hey, Kathy." I turned and smiled at her while I placed the folders in my filing cabinet.