Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

After we accompanied mom to the train station, we drove towards the ballet school where I enrolled Nath. Today was her orientation and she'd meet her new dance mates and instructor.

"She's such a beautiful kid." Miss Perkinson said and Nath giggled making us both chuckle. She was admiring the structure of the studio and so was I. The pay wasn’t much and I could afford it, moreover the teacher was nice and the studio was perfect, it would leave me at peace once I go to work (wherever it would be).

"She is. I'll leave her in your hands, Miss Perkinson." I shook her hand.

"Please call me Beth, Mrs. Smith." She smiled; she has a beautiful layered brown hair that fell just on her shoulders and brilliant blue eyes, her blue cardigan wrapped in her body snugly and her lacy white top peeking underneath with her black fit slacks and heeled shoes, she looked professional and chic.

"I'm a single mom, and please call me Jane. I'm going to fetch her every 12 PM. Is that right?" I verified she smiled at me with understanding. Nath was cheerfully interacting with the other children and I think she already made friends. That was as easy as breathing for my daughter, making friends and stuff, I hope so was adjusting to her new home.

"Oh. Okay, Jane. That's right, every lunch." Beth smiled, and Nath and I made our way to the mall. I promised her that we'd paint her room pink so here we were. She excitedly tugged me towards the different rows of equipment and machines. I laughed because she was dragging me aimlessly and I just followed her lead. She huffed and placed her tiny arms in her puffing chest making me laugh harder when she lost the enthusiasm of finding the paints.

"Tired already, sweetie?" I smirked and she stuck her tongue out at me.

"We keep looking and looking and looking but there's no pinky!" She huffed moodily and her eyes became teary making me smile. I wouldn’t be surprised if she started stomping her feet and snap at me like she was a princess and I was her servant, she always got her way, from me, or mom or from anyone else that was family. I grabbed her tiny hands and lead her to the large shelves of paints; giving my best 'see' face. Her eyes lit up and smiled her toothy grin at me. Well being her servant was worth of that smile.

"Pinky! Mommy!" She pointed towards the pink tin at the second layer of the shelf. I smiled and nodded. We chose princess style wallpaper that she personally picked; we bought her new pillowcases and bed sheets. We also both a frilly canopy for her bed saying that real princesses have those and I just laughed and bought everything that were all, painfully, different shades of pink. I was never a fan of pink but seeing as my child like it, maybe I just have to get used to it.

She wanted to eat ice cream so I brought her to the ice cream house next. I ordered rocky road for myself and Vanilla with extra sprinkles for Nath. She even got her father’s preference in ice creams and in cakes. They both like cheesecakes.

She happily ate the ice cream. I wiped her face from the stains and we made our way home. She practically made me hurry inside the house so we could start redecorating. We changed into old clothes that were okay to be stained and we covered everything in her room with newspaper. We already finished pasting the wallpapers in the three sides of her room; she wanted to paint the last wall with pink so we painted it. We were almost done when the doorbell rang.

I made my way to the living room towards the door while wiping my hands at the stained towel. Connor was standing there with red roses in his hands and a box of donuts in his other hand, surely for Nath.

"Hey, Connor." I smiled and pecked him in the cheeks. He stepped inside and gave me the bouquet. Receiving a bouquet from Connor wasn’t new, he’d been spoiling my daughter and I. And what could I do, he was happy doing that. Sometimes I couldn’t help but feel that I was doing him wrong, that I was leading him on, because I perfectly knew how he felt for me yet I couldn’t give him the same feelings in return. My feelings for him wasn’t the same but he was important to me, as important as family.