Chapter 8

"We're here," Atsushi said opening the double doors to the kitchen. It was a stylish, up-to-date one with dark mahogany cabinets, and a large cooking area. It was every chef's dream come true. Chuuya stood shy at the threshold, absorbing each detail with awe. "Whoa," he mumbled, when his eyes landed on the fridge, next to another grand door. It was one of those he'd seen advertised on TV; those that you could fill a cup of water or something like that. He'd wanted one for his apartment, but he couldn't afford anything bigger than a small refrigerator at the time. He wouldn't need one now anyways... He shook his head, chasing the thought away. He shouldn't lose hope, not so soon.

"What are you standing there for? Come in," the light grey haired waved him inside from across the room, as he moved towards the other door next to the fridge. Chuuya stepped in just as the door opposite him swung open, narrowly missing Atsushi's nose. "Gah!" he exclaimed stumbling back in surprise. On the other side stood the dark haired man from before, carrying a bottle of rich, red wine. He cocked an eyebrow at the other, completely ignoring Chuuya's presence. "What the heck are you doing?" he frowned at the boy, and placed the bottle on the white counter. "I could have broken your nose, you idiot."

"Well, you shouldn't have opened it so carelessly either!" Atsushi grumbled back, pointing an accusing finger at Akutagawa. "What were you doing in there anyways? Mingling with the alcohol and furniture?" Akutagawa's eye twitched. "No," he growled back stepping closer until he was right in front of the boy, "Dazai's going to be having a guest tonight, and requested a fine wine to accommodate their dinner." Atsushi flushed red, but didn't back down. "Why are you here? Don't you have to do your girly chores?" Atsushi's mouth gaped, "For the hundredth time, they're not girly!" He puffed out his chest, now inches from the taller male. "I just wanted to introduce you to the new recruit, Chuuya-san," he gestured to the redhead, who stiffened in response. Akutagawa's grey orbs followed the extended appendage, and he narrowed his eyes in annoyance. Oh great, Chuuya thought as he mentally rolled his eyes, I just made enemies with the cook.

"Uh, hi. I'm Nakahara Chuuya," he bowed respectfully, wanting to avoid the scorching gaze. "Akutagawa Ryuunosuke," he mumbled back, mimicking Chuuya. He turned as soon as he straightened, and started collecting the dishes from the cart, emptying the contents in a trashcan. Placing them in the dishwasher, he continued to occupy himself with random tasks, clearly giving him the cold shoulder. The redhead shuffled back to the double doors, looking at Atsushi. "Um, maybe we should continue the tour...," he trailed off, reaching for the door handle. The boy shook his head, and walked up to where Akutagawa busied himself with rearranging the knifes. He cleared his throat to get the cook's attention. "Don't you have to say anything else to Chuuya-san?" Akutagawa' didn't stop as he glanced at him, then at the chestnut, but didn't respond. He groaned in irritation, when Atsushi's elbow connected with his side. "Welcome, Chuuya-san," he said, offering the smallest of smiles. Atsushi beamed, patting him on the head as though he were a child. "See? It wasn't so hard now, was it?" Akutagawa shot him a glare. "Oh don't mind him Chuuya-san. He's really nice... deep down." He chuckled, and Akutagawa's ears turned pink."Well, let's get going!" he wandered over to the auburn, but halted abruptly. "Ah," he exclaimed suddenly, and faced the dark haired man. "I almost forgot. Aku, do you know where Kyouka-chan is?"

"Beats me," he replied, looking over his shoulder at the two. "Okay, I'll find her." Atsushi walked the remaining distance and opened the door, placing his hand over Chuuya."Where do you want to start from? Outside, or inside?" he asked once the door slammed shut.

"Outside, I suppose."