Chapter Two

"I'd like to request a leave of absence."

The small blue hologram before General Hux remained silent. The image refreshed, flickering. General Hux stood, hands clasped behind his back, keeping his face intentionally blank.

"This is... " the hologram said, "highly irregular. As I'm sure you know, General Hux, we only give leaves of absence for deaths in the family."

Hux rose his chin slightly. "I am aware of the protocol, General Griffbul."

General Griffbul was General of the First Order, the only rank above Hux and the only man Hux ever reported to.

"However, if you pull up my records you'll find I've never taken so much as a sick day in all my years of service."

Briefly the memory of Kylo lying unconscious in the infirmary nearly seven months ago skittered across the general's mind. Hux immediately pushed the thought aside.

Paranoia had set in shortly after Kylo switched sides. Hux had re-assigned all the medical droids to different ships, and he had wiped his signature from the medical database from that day. No one aboard knew he had spent a day in the infirmary now.

"I am aware, Armitage. You're one of the best officers I've ever encountered."

Briefly Hux swelled with pride. This man was much older than Hux, had been an officer back when the Imperial Army was still active. Rumor had it he had even been in Darth Vader's presence on more than one occasion.

"May I ask why you want this leave?"

A momentary wave of panic hit Hux. He hadn't really thought of a reason. "It is... Of a personal matter."

The hologram General humphed. Looking down briefly, he looked back at Hux. "I will take this request under advisement and will let you know in a few days once I make my decision."

Hux bowed slightly at the waist. "Thank you, General."

"Oh, and Armitage?"

"Yes Sir?"

"Get some sleep. You look like shit."

As soon as the hologram flickered off, Hux frowned deeply. Growling, he spun on his heel and stalked out of the room.

~

"Alright, let's begin the startup sequence."

Rey sat in the X-Wing, her back to Ben. She nodded, flipping switches and pushing various buttons. Behind her in the co-pilot position, Ben adjusted his flight gloves.

This was the trade off. Rey would help Ben as best she could to become grounded in the Light Side of the Force. Ben, in turn, would teach her everything he knew about flying. He was surprised at what a natural she was, especially since she had no formal training aside from studying whatever schematics she could get her hands on when she lived on Jakku.

"Ready for take off?" Ben asked over his shoulder.

"Uhhhh... " Rey double-checked the panel before her. "Ready."

Ben twisted more in his seat. "Are you sure?"

A knot formed in Rey's stomach. She double checked everything--it looked to be in order. "Yes?"

"You forgot the g-force stabilizer," Ben said, the slightest hint of amusement in his voice. "Personally I don't really want g-force sickness today..."

"Blasted... Stupid... Ugh."

"Hey. It's okay. Relax. Not a big deal. You remembered all the vital systems."