Chapter Eight

The week was finally over, and Ben was up and about. He was feeling much better, just a little bit tender. He knew it would pass, and he would just have yet another scar as a reminder of what had happened.

Currently he was striding around the Resistance compound, looking for Armitage. He tried to ignore the looks people gave him. Just as he feared, he knew not everyone would be on board with him joining the Resistance.

His most outspoken detractor had been Poe. Now he just had to deal with glares from everyone. He could also feel the fear and distrust seeping from people, which made him much more uncomfortable than any look. As such, he mostly kept to himself.

He was starting to get frustrated when he found a friendly face.

"Rey."

Rey looked up from a game she was playing with Finn to pass the time. A shadow passed across Finn's face a moment, and he looked back at the game. Rey however grinned and jumped to her feet.

"Ben!"

"Have you seen Armitage?"

Rey looked she had just been caught stealing the last of the dessert. She took a few steps forward, speaking in a hushed voice.

"You... Didn't hear?"

A knot formed in Ben's stomach. "What... Didn't I hear?"

Rey took Ben by the arm, leading him away. "Come on."

As he left, he could feel Finn's eyes boring holes into his back. He ignored it.

"Where are you taking me?"

Rey didn't respond. She led him to the other side of the compound. He had never been to this particular corner, wedged in between some trees. It was here he understood why Rey had brought him here.

"Armitage? "

Armitage looked up from the cot he was sitting on. A makeshift holding cell had been erected, keeping the General in via force field.

"Oh. Hello."

Ben was flabbergasted. "What are you--why are you--huh?"

Armitage got to his feet, folding his hands behind his back. "No one told you I take it?" He looked pointedly at Rey, who turned pink.

"Why are you in there!?"

Armitage rolled his eyes. "Why do you think?"

"That's absurd!"

"Calm down," the General replied softly. "I've been nothing but cooperative so I've been treated fairly. Three meals a day, water. They even let me see you when you were in the infirmary with an escort."

"An escort? But you were alone--"

A wave of shame hit Ben, and he looked at who it was coming from. Rey had her head down, face now bright red. She glanced at him, and then back at the ground.

"The only way he could see you was if I went with...I was hiding around the corner."

Ben clenched his fist. "Under whose authority was he placed in holding?"

"Who do you think, Ben?" Armitage asked dryly.

~

"Hello Ben."

Ben put both hands on his mother's desk, looming over her where she sat. His eyes were sharp, his face unreadable. After looking up at him a moment, she put down the data pad she had been looking at.

"Well, you're clearly in a mood."

"Why did you put Armitage in a holding cell?"

Leia rose an eyebrow. "I put General Hux in a holding cell because he's a high ranking officer of the First Order."