Chapter Nine

Ben sat with his back against a tree. Armitage sat next to him, his back leaning against the wall that had been erected for his cell. Neither spoke.

It was full night. Most everyone was sleeping. Those who were awake didn't bother checking the cell, knowing there wasn't a way for the prisoner to get free. Furthermore, Armitage had been nothing but compliant the entire time, even waiting patiently as they scrambled to build his cell in a week. They had kept him bound during the process, and he never once complained or tried to sneak away.

Sitting like this had become a nightly ritual for the pair. They had both agreed meeting in the dead of night was best. Not only did they want to avoid suspicion that they were plotting something together, but they didn't think anyone else knew the true nature of their relationship.

"I miss you," Armitage said. His knees were pulled up, his forearms resting on his knees.

Ben looked at him and laughed. "I'm right here."

Armitage shot him a look. "That's not what I meant, idiot. I mean physically."

"Oh."

"I wish this blasted force field wasn't here," he continued wistfully. "I don't even want sex. I mean--I do, but...I wish I could lean on you. Or hold your hand."

Immediately without thinking, Ben reached out to Armitage with the Force. Closing his eyes, he imagined taking Armitage by the hand. The other man gasped immediately, nearly falling over. Ben stopped, recoiling. Armitage looked at him with large eyes.

"What was that!?"

"Sorry... I just..." He made a gesture to insinuate the use of the Force.

"Oh..." Armitage relaxed, propping himself back against the wall. "Next time warn me."

"Sorry."

"Not your fault." Armitage took a bit of grass, tore it apart, and then tossed the pieces down. "This entire blasted situation is stupid."

"Did you mean what you said? About agreeing with me that the war should end?"

Armitage laughed bitterly. He leaned his head against the wall, looking up at the brick ceiling. "I did. I just have no idea how to go about accomplishing that. Especially since I'm stuck in a cell!"

He sighed heavily and then pressed the heel of his palms against his eyes. "How do we fix an entire universe that's been at war for decades?" He blinked then, looking at Ben half seriously. "You've ruined me, you know that? Completely ruined me."

Ben grinned. Just then a person ran past, followed by a second, then a third. Armitage narrowed his eyes, gesturing his head toward the people. Ben swiveled his head right, catching a brief glimpse of the last person.

"What was that?" Armitage wondered.

"No idea," Ben replied. "But I'm going to go find out."

"Be careful."

Ben smirked and then hurried away. Peeking around one of the trees he saw the small group running towards the building General Leia was in. He wasn't overly concerned; they were Resistance members. Even so, he wondered what was going on that they were sprinting.

Silently he moved after them, making sure not to be seen. By the time he made it to the door they were already mid-conversation. Ben silently stayed outside.

"--and we thought this couldn't wait until morning."

"What is it?" Ben heard his mother say.

"We intercepted a First Order transmission regarding our prisoner. They're looking for him."