Dark Angels

Prologue

     Two men sat in a dark room. "How imminent is the threat?" one asked. "It will be here whether we prepare or not. It's time to begin." the other replied. "Quite exciting isn't it? My arrangements are in order. What about yours?" the first inquired. "Of course. Don't lose track of the purpose." the second reprimanded, "There is no second draft. It's all or nothing. We are treading the finest line that has ever been walked." "Even so, you can't argue that you won't find some entertainment in this. At least, in its infancy." the first argued. "Perhaps I will. I just don't want you to get carried away." "I have my fun but have I ever dissatisfied your expectations?" "You've come uncomfortably close." "Nonsense! I have always delivered. Besides you are only half of the whole. None of this would be possible without complete cooperation." "This is true. I cannot deny that we have achieved unprecedented greatness in the past but we must always be cautious. Pride is our downfall my collaborator." "Collaborator!" the first exclaimed in dismay, "How about 'friend'? Would that be too arduous?" "Friend is not a professional term. With the game we are about to play we may never have friends again, but a surplus of enemies." "That's a pleasant thought. For the record I think this is a brilliant idea. How we came up with it I may never know. And the mere fact that you approve of this at all rattles my very intelligence." "It is uncharacteristic of me in every sense. I would never consider it if the circumstances were different. However, currently the possibilities outway the risk." "Shall we make contact then?" "Yes time is of the essence. Phase one begins now."

Chapter 1: Dark Angels

     Elana walked over to the fireplace where the others had placed wood gathered from outside. With little effort she caused the bundle to burn with a bright flame bringing warmth and life to the cabin. The guys cheered and clapped from the couch. Elana rolled her eyes. She could do much more than that but they liked to embarrass her with over kill praise when she performed simple tasks. Elana was in her early twenties. She had dark black hair that always stayed straight. "You all better watch it! I doubt any of you could start a fire without blowing this place up." Elana said.

     Although it was spring, winter's effects had not yet entirely subsided and the nights still tended to be chilly. "Where did the boss go?" asked Fez while looking back and forth at the others on the couch. Fez was only a little older than Elana though it didn't show. He was slim but muscular. He had short brown hair that was always spiked up in the front. "He's keeping to himself upstairs. Has been for a couple of hours." Elana replied. "Hey! Where do you think you're going Junior? Get your little robotic butt back in here." Bludge exclaimed, a very tall and heavily built man with dark skin. The young boy paused half way into Bludge's room. Looking upset he turned to face those sitting on the couch. "I just wanted to see your armor!" he protested. "What for? You've seen it a dozen times?" Bludge asked. "Yeah but always when we're busy! I never get a good look at it." Pip said. "No, I know there's something else. What are you trying to do with it?" Bludge demanded. "Can I borrow your shoulder plate to go sledding? Please! I'll bring it right back." Pip begged. "What the? Boy you'd scratch it all up with the rocks and how dark it is out there." Bludge said." "No I wouldn't! You said that an angry mama noldor couldn't even make a dent in it." Pip relented. Bludge paused, "Alright, you got me there. I did say that. But you're going to go out there and get yourself hurt before our next mission. Then I'll get blamed for it. I have half a mind to let you do it though. Then we can send you home to your mommy and I won't have to put up with you anymore." Bludge said. Fez snickered while Elana shook her head in disapproval. "Go for it Pip. It's fine." Elana said. "Really? Thanks Lane!" Pip managed, starring with dreamy eyes. "Ah, Lane serious?", Bludge protested, "You can't just let the kid have whatever he wants." Pip dashed out the door with the shoulder plate before he could be told otherwise. "Let him have some fun. We've all been working hard. Besides, he's been in much more dangerous situations than sledding. You've got to start treating him like he's a real member of the team because he is now." Elana said. "Barley, you know that kid's not ready yet. His brain's too big for his head! Just because he can make little gadgets doesn't mean he's ready to go into battle. He has no idea how to defend himself." Bludge complained. "Well maybe you should give him some pointers Mr. Iron wall." Elana countered. Pip was the newest and by far the youngest member of the team. At the age of only thirteen he had found favor with the boss through his skills with technology. He had shaggy hair for a boy's standard that formed a messy circle around his head. It was a dirty blonde color. "Vectell come to the window. I've gotta a prank we can pull on him." Fez said. Reluctantly Vectell got up and made his way over. Vectell was the oldest member of the team and in many ways the wisest. He still was only a few years older than the others. He had short blonde hair that was always combed to the side. The two men stood in front of a window while Fez explained his plan in a whisper with a grin on his face. Shenzen, as silent as usual, slipped away, presumably to the bathroom. He had long hair but looked no less masculine. Today it went straight down his back and around his shoulders. However, in times of battle he would keep in a bun or tied back behind his head. Elana laid across the couch on the opposite end as Bludge. "So what's he doing up there?" Bludge inquired. "I couldn't tell you. But, I have heard pacing." Elana reported. "Are you kidding me! Don't tell me we're ditching paradise already." Bludge griped. "It's not looking good." Elana said. Suddenly Fez burst into laughter from across the room. Vectell on the other hand had only the faintest smile. They both were peering through the window. Bludge looked over already amused, "What did you do to him?" "While he was going down the hill I had Vectell make you appear at the bottom with your shield out. He panicked and ate it before he got to you" Fez explained choking back laughter. Bludge threw back his head chuckling. "Typical." Elana said, "Although I am surprised you conceded Vectell." Vectell looked embarrassed for a moment and then shrugged. "You've gotta practice Jenzu between jobs right?" Vectell said. The comment earned him a "Yeah" and high five from Fez. Pip burst through the door covered in snow. "Hey! No fair, I wasn't ready for that!" Pip said to Vectell accusingly. "You must always be ready. An enemy will not give you time to prepare." Vectell counseled.