Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: Gun-Metal BlueSophia Crawford

Sophia Crawford

"I'm so glad your grandmother agreed that you can come to the party next week Friday." Ana chirps happily, hooking her arm through mine like she always did when she led me to my locker. "It would've been boring if you couldn't come."

"About that..." I suck on my lower lip. "She wants to meet you and Cole first." I open my locker to grab the things I need for my classes today. "She wants to know who my new friends are, so she invited you over for dinner on Thursday, next week."

"That's so kind!" Ana says. "Cole and I would definitely be there on Thursday."

"Yeah," Cole agrees, nodding. "I'll definitely be there too. My dad won't have a problem."

I take the books I would need and prop them into my schoolbag. "I'm thinking of coming to the pep rally too." I tell them, zipping my bag closed once I have collected all the books I would need for the day. "I want to show my support toward the football team."

"Ooh yes!" Ana shrieks. "We can get snacks, too!"

"It's a pep rally, love." Cole says. "Not the movies."

"Yes," Ana nods, "but I cannot support you if I haven't had a snack!"

Cole chuckles, shaking his head at his girlfriend.

Ana tugs on my arm and I look at her. "What's wrong?" I ask when I saw that she looked quite wary. Her eyes were slightly narrowed and she had her chin slightly lifted as if she was trying to look over my shoulder at something.

"Don't panic..." She says.

I immediately start to panic as soon as the words left her mouth. Usually when someone says 'don't panic', it's something you definitely need to panic about, and that 'something' she mentioned was something behind me.

I don't dare turn around.

"I am panicking now." I tell her, the words coming out in a slight whisper.

"River is walking towards us." She whispers. "Well, toward you actually."

I turn to look at Cole to see if Ana's pulling my leg, but he just nods. "He is." He confirms. "But don't worry," he says, "he doesn't look angry at all."

"That doesn't make it okay!" I shout but lower my voice again. "What do you think he wants with me?" My gaze darts quickly between the two of them when I felt my heartbeat start to increase.