Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three: If Things Were DifferentRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

My aunt was surprised when I came home early with no bruises on my face; not fresh ones, at least.

She smiled when she saw me, but I think it was more relief than anything else. I did crash at Sophia’s, and I disappeared without telling her where I was, again, making her worry about me, again.

The thing about my aunt was that she didn’t hover; she gave me space to do my own thing, but it didn’t mean that she didn’t worry about me, though. She just hid it very well.

“You’re home early today.” She smiles, looking at me when I threw my bag onto the floor right beside one of the couches.

“I was tired, so I came home right after school.” I plop down onto one of the couches beside her, snatching her coffee cup from her hands before taking a big gulp from it. She just shakes her head at me but allows me to finish her coffee in another three big gulps.

“What about the assignment you and Sophia have going on?” She asks with a frown. “I thought you were going to go over to her house to finish the project?”

I set the coffee cup down onto the coffee table. “Mr Ryan gave us until the end of winter break to do the assignment. It’s a small assignment anyways, and it doesn’t really count a lot of marks in the end.” I tell her. “But the assignment is nearly done; we just have some finishing touches we have to do in the essay.”

My aunt nods in approval. “I’m glad that the two of you worked well enough together to get the project done.” She smiles. “I must admit that there were some ups and downs, and it felt like the two of you would never get it done…”

I nod.

“She’s a good girl… Sophia.” My aunt says.

“There’s something I need to tell you.” I start, seeing my aunt’s smile vanish into thin air. “Don’t worry,” I chuckle at her, “it’s nothing bad or anything…”

My aunt’s shoulders sag in relief. “Oh thank goodness.”

I turn on the couch to look at my aunt. “I told Sophia what happened.” I tell her. “After you told me that my dad wanted to see me, I went to a bar. I nearly drank myself into a coma, but Myles, the guy who usually helps me train at the barn… he messaged Sophia and she met me at the bar where Myles then took us to her house.” I wait for any signs of disappointment to wash across my aunt’s face, but found absolutely no sign of it. I think she was relieved that I was finally opening up to her for once and not keeping it inside. “Sophia told me that I talked about them… my mom and Beck… and that he murdered them. I yelled at her and said the most terrible of things to her, but I didn’t—” I take in a deep breath, closing my eyes tightly before opening them again, “I didn’t want to push her away again when she was just trying to help me, so I told her what happened, and before you yell at me, I did apologize to her. Sincerely, too.”