Chapter Forty Four

Chapter Forty Four: Don’t Put The Blame On MeSophia Crawford

Sophia Crawford

I couldn’t sleep a wink last night.

I kept thinking about River and his younger brother’s notebook that was missing. I really hope that Mackenzie has it—otherwise it would be lost forever without us having a single clue who might have the notebook in the first place.

If someone were to read Beck’s entries, that would break River.

The rumours that were started when he became secluded took a huge toll on him, and if everyone finds out what happened to his brother and his mother, it would only worsen things with River.

I can’t imagine how that would make him feel if that were to happen.

It would scrape the wounds he has tried so hard to heal open again.

We have to find that notebook.

I quickly get dressed in a pair of stirrup trousers, a brown coat over a normal black tee-shirt and throw on some tall boots.

The snow was getting heavier and colder by the day and I didn’t want to risk getting a cold by wearing the same blue skinny pair of jeans I always wore.

I rush to the bathroom to wash my face and to brush my teeth, and when I was done, I go back to my room to brush through my locks of brown, wavy hair.

“Why are you in such a hurry, dear?” My grandmother asks, noticing that I was in a hurry to grab my bag up from the floor and my phone from its charger.

“I need to get to school.” I tell her, rushing to her before planting a kiss against her cheek. “Okay, I’ll see you later. Have fun!”

“But… your breakfast!”

“Not hungry!” I yell over my shoulder, leaving the house in a hurry.

I nearly face-planted about three times in the thick white snow on the sidewalk, but I managed to make it to school in one piece, and in less than thirty minutes, so it was a win-win either way.

• • •

I looked for Mackenzie everywhere, but she was nowhere to be seen. Usually I would see her trailing on River’s heels, but today she was absolutely nowhere to be seen.

I asked Ana and Cole if they might’ve seen her, but none of them have.

I sigh in defeat, starting to feel anxious on River’s behalf.