Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five: Second ChancesRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

Sophia was staring right through me even as I started to shake her shoulders to try and get a reaction out of her, but it was like I was talking to a brick wall. She was completely unresponsive and she barely blinked when her eyes started to fill with unshed tears. Her eyes were also starting to redden a lot due to the lack of blinking.

She keeps muttering something under her breath, something I couldn’t quite understand but whatever she was saying made more tears well up inside her eyes and her chin started to quiver more.

I flick my fingers in front of her face, but that didn’t work either.

She was just…gone.

It was a look I knew so well.

Her eyes were distant, she was muttering something under her breath and tears were welling up inside of her eyes…

Sophia was stuck inside of her own mind right now, and once someone was locked inside of their own minds, it was going to be hard getting them out.

I need to save her before she’s stuck in her own mind forever.

I get up from my crouched position, and jog to the reception area of the hospital to see if there was anyone on hand who would be able to help Sophia to get out of the shock she was in, but when I neared the station, everyone was busy either talking on phones, or rushing to help people who needed help more than we did.

It was a madhouse.

“Hello?” I ask, trying to grab someone’s, anyone’s attention. “I need help.”

Nothing. No one pays me even the slightest of attention.

I sigh loudly, running my fingers through my blond hair. I turn around to go back where Sophia was now cradling her knees to her chest, crying even louder.

Her cheeks were wet from tears, her eyes red-rimmed from crying so much.

It pained me to see her like this because I was just like her once, in the same position she was in and in shock after what happened to my mom and Beck, but the only difference was that she had someone who tried to comfort her, I didn’t.

I was completely alone with no one to comfort me, but just because I was alone didn’t mean that Sophia has to be alone, too.

I crouch down in front of her, my knees touching her feet as she hugged her knees to her chest, silently sobbing. I place both of my hands onto her shoulders, giving them light squeezes to show her that she wasn’t alone. “Sophia… Please come back to me.” I beg, hoping that my words would break her out of whatever trance she was in. “Sophia… She’s going to be just fine.”