Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: Missing Diamond RingRiver Jenkins

River Jenkins

"Hello, Miss Crawford. I think I forgot one of my books here the last time." I tell her when the front door opens. "I also want to apologize for talking to you the way I did. It was wrong of me, and I truly feel bad about it."

"Hello River." Sophia's grandmother frowns, confused to why I was standing in front of her house while I'm supposed to be at the pep rally, but she doesn't bring it up. "This is a nice surprise. A book you said? Well you'd have to check yourself because I won't know which one you're looking for... And as for the apology, you're forgiven. I should be the one to apologize because it was wrong of me to talk about you behind your back."

"It's okay, Miss Crawford." I tell her, shifting from one foot to the other. "So, about the book..."

"Oh, yes of course. You can come right in." She says, moving out of the way so I can pass her in the doorway.

I walk up the set of stairs like the last time I was here and make my way to Sophia's room, glad to see that her grandmother wasn't trailing behind me. It's not like I was lying about the book. I did leave my Biology book here, and the fact that Sophia hasn't returned it toward me didn't surprise me. I didn't really give her a chance to talk to me since the school the other day.

I close Sophia's bedroom door behind me and start to look for my book. Her backpack was lying on the floor, open, with random pens falling out. I searched through her back, not that I wanted to because I might be an asshole, but I had morals at least, but I had to see if my book was in there.

I notice my Biology book in her backpack and take it out. I turn to leave, but a piece of jewellery lying on the nightstand glinted from the sunlight filtering through the window catches my attention.

I walk straight to the nightstand where she had her photograph placed-the same one she has snatched from my hands the other day when I wanted to take a better look at it. I pick it up and scan it thoroughly, trying to gather as much information from it as possible. If she wants to ask questions about my family and my past, I'm going to do the same.

But in this case, I am just taking a peek at her belongings.

It would only be fair, right?

The photograph is small in my hands, the frame just big enough to fit in my entire hand, but I could tell that the photograph held a lot of memories.

The two of them looked happy with their arms wrapped around each other. The guy beside Sophia was looking at her with so much adoration while Sophia was looking directly at the camera, completely oblivious to the fact that the guy beside was staring at her instead of at the camera.