Chapter 5: Holy water

"Good to see you again, (y/n)!!" Your best friend exclaimed while you were standing at their door. "Didn't expect you to leave your room during the break." They laughed.

Well, you didn't plan doing that either.

"Miracles happen. Can I come in?" You asked politely.

They nodded. Making your way inside, you observed the place you had come to know so well. Whenever you had an awful day, a falling out with your family, or even various breakdowns, you were always welcomed there. (Y/f/n)'s house didn't look like anything special from the outside. It's the inside of it, what made it such an amazing spot. It was full of vintage furniture loved by their mother, as well as modern technological equipment brought back from their father's work. Rooms were always clean, you knew their family was quite rich, but (y/f/n) never seemed to mention it. It wasn't like their parents were any different in that sense. They loved when you came over and frequently joined your conversations on various topics. They acted like the most normal, loving family, never making you feel poor or out of place. You had always wondered how they were able to maintain this happy and positive and quietly prayed, that they would stay like this forever.

"(Y/n), did you go grocery shopping for me? Oh sweetheart, you shouldn't have!" They joked as you smiled at them.

You had met (y/f/n) a long time ago. You didn't remember the first time you talked, but you knew that you really hit it off with each other instantly. Your friendship had progressed greatly through the years and you often called yourselves siblings. They were one of the best parts of your life truly. After all, they were the person who was always unknowingly forcing you to leave your dark room and go out.

Why? (Y/f/n) was changing schools frequently in the past. To your knowledge, it was due to their poor mental health. You didn't understand it. Of course, you knew that people hid their true feeling in public, you were a prime example of it, but your best friend never seemed that depressed. Their parents were always dismissive when you brought up the topic and (y/f/n)... They told you to not worry about it. They had always assured you that they were stable and would never do anything bad to themselves. You knew you shouldn't even try to pry more, but you felt bad for them always having to deal with your meltdowns.

However, they were okay with everything no matter what.

They were truly an angel.

"So, besides bringing food that is obviously for me, what brings you here?" (Y/f/n) asked, leading you to their kitchen.

You thought for a second. "I was just strolling and saw your house... Thought we could eat some ramen and chat- *achoo*" You sneezed.

They stopped walking and giggled.

"Elly must be here somewhere. Sorry, I didn't have time to carry her out of the room."

"*Achoo*-no, it's fine. Curse that allergy to fur..." You growled.

You put your bags on the kitchen's counter and started to unpack them. As your friend came back from their mission of re-rooming their cat away, both of you heard a quiet meow. They were looking at you while you were taking your hand out of the plastic bag. The two of you exchanged confused looks.

"..I swear, I closed the door to my room-" As they were saying that, a black kitten jumped out of your groceries, holding a pack of noodles in his mouth.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

"Uh... (Y/f/n), meet Kuro." You pointed to him with your hand. "I found him on the street and, uh, we are spending this day together."

They blinked at you, then the cat. Their expression faltered and you could see a mix of confusion and worry. However, it had disappeared as fast as it had appeared, changing into a sour smile.