Classes

(Y/n) POV

Hermione and I are in potions class the next morning listening to Professor Slughorn's opening semester speech.

Slughorn: Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning.

Suddenly, Harry and Ron walk into the classroom, late as usual, oh boy.

Slughorn: Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see.

Ron: Ron Weasely, sir. Although, I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, really.

Slughorn: Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Grab a book from there and we'll get started.

Ron and Harry grab the books for this semester, while I looked at Hermione, who playfully rolled her eyes over these two knucklheads and I couldn't help but chuckle a little.

Slughorn: As I was saying, I have prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? *holds up vial*

Hermione was quick to raise her hand which comes as no shock to me at all.

Slughorn: Yes, Ms.?

Hermione: Granger, sir. *points out vials* That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It allows the drinker to transform into the form of another provided you have the specific persons hair. And this is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and spearmint.

Slughorn: Very good. Now, Amortentia doesn't actually create love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession...

(Y/n): *whispers to Hermione* Beautiful show-off.

Hermione: You do it.

(Y/n): But then you always scold me afterwards.

Hermione: *holds my hand* Sorry.

(Y/n): I'm not.

Slughorn: And it's for this reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room.

Pavarti: Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one. *points out last vial*

Slughorn: Ah, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as--

Hermione: Liquid Luck.

Slughorn: Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid Luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of Liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out, however, only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence.

Hermione gets right to work, but seeing as how only one person in history got this potion right, I'm not holding my breath for me to get it. So, I just grab the ingredients from the book and start trying anyways. As the cutting of Sopophorus beans gets underway, I get beaned in the head with one. No pun intended.

(Y/n): Ron?!

Ron: It wasn't me, honest! *as he hides under the table*

I picked up the bean and threw it back and it lodged it self into the table top in front of Ron. I am able to hold my bean down and cut it without much effort. I then ended up holding Hermione's as she cuts hers, She shot me a thank you smile in return. Harry meanwhile, is brewing the potion rather strangely but while Hermione questioned it I didn't think too much about it. A little while later, everyone and I do mean everyone was having some sort of difficulty and after my fourth attempt I just kinda gave up on it, while Hermione looked like a crazy witch with her hair messed up, probably from the stress I'd wager. Harry, however, was finished with his and Professor Slughorn checked it and low and behold Harry actually got it right.