Part 13 - My Hero Doesn't Wear a Cape

I have a vague idea of the direction of this story, and I know some of you might be getting impatient with me-- what's taking me so long to actually get Izuku to UA? When will Izuku finally meet class 1A?

We'll get there eventually, we'll meet them eventually. But I want to create a story that you can enjoy every moment of. It's like a road trip:  it's not just about the destination, but about what you see on the way there. To have a good story, one you would want to read twice over or more, I feel you have to be able to enjoy the in-between bits as well, not just the action-packed moments of climax that everyone focuses so heavily on.

Many thanks for your wonderous comments and responses!

So here it is, what you've all been waiting for!

~ Nezumi

Image link:  https://i.pinimg.com/564x/95/8a/3b/958a3b3f636706cf0474bc0554cd4351.jpg

My Hero Doesn't Wear a Cape

Shopping with Lady Midnight was like willingly venturing into a hurricane. I knew it wouldn't be fun, but my expectations were exceeded ten-fold. I, and the next twenty generations after me, wouldn't have to go shopping for school supplies ever again.

"C'mon, Stray, just look through these folders and we can be done," Nemuri bribes, shaking a box of folders with decorative covers in their box on a shelf.

Shoulders slumped and mind like a pile of wet laundry, I shuffle over to peer down at the options. They seemed to have different heroes printed on the front.

Staring at them, I search myself for that spike of immediate interest, excitement. But my reaction is the same as it has been for many years now:  lacking, it's still there, but it's lacking. I enjoy heroes, I do, but my reactions to them over the years have lessened greatly. I've had more important things to worry about then heroes. It's a bit saddening to see it at face value.

(Despite this, I had tried to keep up with the current events of heroes. Habits are hard to break, and it was one habit I could cling to even on the streets, even if it was a bit harder than before.

And I still apparently could barely contain myself when I actually meet heroes, like with Lady Midnight.)

I desired to feel that same excitement, though, the same thrill, but it escapes me the majority of the time.

Reaching into the box I finger the edge of one folder. It had All Might on it with in bold across it: 

I AM HERE!

I had once clung to such a statement, but I had come to the depressing realization over the years that while All Might could proclaim that all he wanted, that he was here, he couldn't be there for everyone. Heroes couldn't be there for everyone no matter how hard they tried. They couldn't be there for every wife beaten by their husband, or for every child forced onto the streets.

It wasn't realistic and I knew that.

But I was lucky because I had my very own hero unlike every other child still on the streets. I had a hero that had saved me and that I could selfishly call my own.

Letting go of the folder I stepped back.

"I have-hav-have enough-enough folders al-al-already," I say, gesturing to the fifteen folders already stacked next to the twenty notebooks. Really, Lady Midnight went overboard.

"Oh, but you looked like you were eyeing that All Might one," Nemuri says, pulling the folder from the box. 

I shake my head at this, pushing away her hand when she offers it to me. Nemuri pouts, "Why not? If it's the money you're worried about-- well, don't think too hard on it. Mic and I have plenty to spare."