Part 5 - Dangerous Lady of the Night

Guys, I can put no price on your words of kindness. I felt so happy reading all those comments that I'm pretty sure my brain short-circuited. I'll admit I shed a few tears. It's a wonderful feeling to hear such things about my works; the honest comments and praise leave my cheeks sore from smiling.

I also apologize for not updating sooner, I've been pretty sick as of late and I'm just starting to get better enough to function semi-normally.

Thank you for the comments, I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as the last. It's on the short side, but it's more a bridging chapter to a bigger plot point, so please bear with me.

~ Nezumi

Dangerous Lady of the Night

I had come to be used to Mic's boisterous attitude and loud voice. His warm greetings full of hugs became most welcome when I returned to my safe haven.

Still, while I was used to Mic's hugs of greeting, I was still rightfully startled when a woman grasped and pulled him into her arms with a squeal.

"So adorable!" she practically sang, pulling back from my dazed form to look down at me with sparkling blue eyes. "You're like a little muffin with that cute head of hair!"

"Errr . . ." I am unable to get anything passed shock-frozen lips, leaning slightly to the side so I can see Mic chuckling on the couch and Shouta drinking coffee at the table.

"Hello?" I greet carefully, taking a step back, nearly right out the door from whence I came so I could look at her without craning my neck too terribly. She is rather tall in general though.

"Hello! I'm Kayama Nemuri!" she says, reaching down to squeeze my cheeks. "I know all about you, Stray, the other two have told me so much about you!"

I send a surprised look at the men at this. "O-Oh? W-Well, it's-it's nice t-to meet you M-M-Ms. Nemuri."

"Oh, no need to be so formal sweet-cheeks, Nemuri is just fine," she says with a cooing look on her face.

Slowly, it occurs to me that her face is very familiar. It barely took a moment to click that this is the hero Midnight, badass crimefighting Midnight, that was going goo-goo eyes over him.

The night proceeded on oddly in that manner. Midnight turned out to be very sweet compared to her fierce hero persona, doting on me like I'm a puppy. She spent a long time braiding my hair into little pieces for many a while before I retreated to my blanket on the floor to sleep.

Even then, though, she did not leave me. I soon found myself surrounded by several pillows and with a hot bottle on my stomach and at my feet. I am put right into the lap of luxury.

I might just look a little bit forward to her next visit. Just a little bit.

Despite enjoying my new spot in life, I couldn't help but question my good fortune. Because there has to be a catch. Things can't stay this good forever.

I sigh into my blankets and pillows quietly. Perhaps it was about time I put a bit of distance between myself and . . . these . . . . this group, because when the other shoe drops, I won't be the one left hanging high and dry. Not this time.

: : : :

I'm spending time in a neighboring city. I've already been here for a day but already knew I'd be happy to head back to my hometown soon. The place was nice, but it simply wasn't . . . home.

But I steeled my mind and walked on. Through the winding streets, with far more twists and turns than my home, I searched for a place to stay for the night. The sun is setting and I had no clue what this town's streets are like during the night.

For all I knew, this place could be some sort of sundown town. The thought gave me shivers as I wedged myself behind the small place behind a recently emptied dumpster.

Before I fell asleep, I prayed to any gods that might be listening that I not murdered in my sleep.