Chapter Thirteen - To stay or to go

Chapter Thirteen – To stay or to go  

“Where is Maver tonight?” Preston asked in his usual cheerful tone, walking from the car we began to ascend the stairs up to my flat.

“Last I heard he was going out with Kara so who knows.” Shrugging I headed towards my door when I heard Kara’s laugh fill the corridor around me. Instantly pissing me off as I know she has never laughed like that around me.

“Someone sounds happy.” Preston chuckled as I began to open the door, my shoulders instantly lifted defensively at the sight I saw as I stepped through the doorway. Kara in a bra was the first thing I noticed; she filled it amazingly her subtle curves worked down towards her toned stomach I barely managed to keep my tongue in my mouth. The lustrous thoughts turned murderous when I noticed my baby brother pinning her to the floor, her cheeks flushed from some form of activity.

In a flash Kara was up and hiding behind him again, unable to take in what happened I stared at Maver who had such a smug satisfied grin on his face I wanted to wipe it off instantly.

“A tickle war really?” Stepping around me Preston laughter seemed to coincide with the feel of the room before we had entered it.

Barely taking in Kara’s now flushed face I notice Maver’s arm slide round Kara’s hips in a protective manor. Who was he trying to protect her from? Has she told him about him what happened in the bathroom?

“I swear I was winning.” Kara answered Preston.

“Sure looked like it.” Preston carried on chatting away as if nothing was wrong, clearly he couldn’t feel the tension in the air. Shutting the door Preston walked further into the front room; I seemed to be stuck in the same spot I was when I walked in Maver still trying to stare me out. “Don’t doubt you had some trick up your sleeve,” Pausing to pick up the neglected top Preston continued to ramble. “Well you know what I mean.” Throwing the top at Maver the eye contact was finally broken between me and him since we walked in.

“What’s up?” Maver finally spoke up, his tone guarded, “Thought you were gone for the night?”

“I will be. I was just coming back for the drinks.” Looking at Kara for the first time since she put her top on she still looked slightly flush. What is with my brain all I want to do is to kiss her, to protect her; I want her to hide defenceless behind me not my baby brother. She is constantly claiming they are just friends; yet she pulls shit like this.

“Remember that blond chick?” I asked Maver trying to make him forget about the red head behind him.

Nodding Maver responded. “Yeah Alyssa or something?” His response made me want to laugh, he hasn’t stopped going on about her since they met, and he knows what her name is.

“Whatever. Her. She wanted to see you at the party. You in?” The look of excitement on his face and the way his body language changed it was clear he was coming.

“Well…” Looking back at Kara he stopped his answer, staring at her as if he was asking her silent questions. “I kinda promised Kara we’d watch some flicks.”

Shaking her head “You didn’t promise.” Shrugging she continued. “Go get laid no biggie. We can watch movies any time.” 

“You sure?” Hesitantly Maver answered Kara; clearly unsure of if she was trying to play him.

The laughter that filled the room made my eyes snap to her; it’s a sound I hear rarely from her. I am normally on the receiving end of a snarky comment or an insult.

“Maver, Go get laid.”

“Now that is a true friend. If only all chicks were so cool.” Preston winked at Kara, the casual way he flirted with her put me on edge. Kara seems so casual with him that it makes me edgy. I don’t like it.