Chapter Three: I Want Mommy

Their tea times had been moved to the morning. Mornings were usually with Alice and Athanasia reading together, so Alice carried around a book under her arm.

Not that she read it, she didn't need extra words from Felix or Claude questioning her capability. It was worse that Felix didn't seem like he was trying to be rude. Agh, if Claude found out she was learning how to read at her age, he would definitely say something unsavory. And she didn't know if she had the capacity to not bite back.

"What book is that?" Felix whispered, leaning over and trying to start a conversation.

A dictionary, she thought wistfully, currently on the C's. "A big book," she said instead.

Felix looked surprised before smiling with closed eyes, as she had no edge in her voice when addressing him. Flowers seemed to form around him from happiness at his accomplishment.

"Is it a good book?"

"Not really."

The conversation was short, but was enough to make Felix feel like he got closer to her, even if just a little bit. Progress was progress.

"What kind of things do you like?"

Alice squinted at Felix, like he was a puzzle; the same as he saw her, but in a more positive light. Did he take that as a cue to continue? Could he not tell from her short answers that she wasn't up for anything longer than what just happened?

"Ally, I want you to be friends with Felix!!!"

For the princess, she thought with a twitching eyelid. It was already lucky enough that Felix somehow still had patience for her, considering she didn't even try to hide her distaste. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself for whatever Felix was stirring up. "I, uh..."

Her mind blanked.

"??"

Claude cut in, "Felix."

I'm saved. Who-

Claude was watching the two, looking more at Felix.

Nevermind.

Athanasia looked at them as a pair, and waved.

"Pour her tea." Claude nodded to Athanasia.

"It might be a bit strong, your majesty," Felix said of the drink.

"If she wants it, she can have it."

A royal guard pouring tea, when there were maids in standby. Felix did it anyway, giving Athanasia her own fancy tea cup.

Alice watched from where she stood. Because Felix and herself seemed to always have something happening, whether it be tense silence, one-sided annoyance, or attempts at small chat, Claude had ordered them "ten steps back from now on" so they wouldn't bother them.

Athanasia looked all serious as she took a sip, like drinking something she would never have again. Her eyes opened and glittered in glee, a smile forming fast at the strong, flowery taste spreading in her mouth. It was light and made her feel bubbly. "Athy likes it! It feels like flowers are blooming in Athy's mouth!"

Watching her joyous reaction, Alice made a little smile that lasted only a second before glancing over. Her words elicited a different reaction from Claude and Felix; it was like a haunting memory just replayed before them, bringing them to stiff silence.

"... I see. It's called lippe tea," Felix finally broke the silence, trying to ease the obvious tension. "His majesty enjoys it too. Lady Diana also liked it," Diana being Athanasia's deceased mother, "she also said, 'It feels like flowers are blooming in my mouth'."