Chapter Twenty One: What Remains

The princess still hasn't awakened, nor has his majesty.

The princess's mana had gone rampant. When you went in, you didn't respond, but frost started spreading over the grass.

His majesty came out in a panic. And to save the princess, he went in despite me telling him not to.

There was no way to stop the raging mana. So his majesty took the princess's mana into him, and gave his own to her, to stabilize the storm.

Neither him or the princess have woken up yet. And because we weren't sure what happened to you, but knowing your history with the princess's magic, I took you to my house to make sure you were okay. But also to distance you from them.

That was what Felix told her upon their return. Dressed at last in her uniform, she wasn't even allowed to walk in the same halls of the rooms the two royals resided.

Three days passed. Lily and Felix spent most of their time trying to wake up Athanasia and Claude, when the princess awoke at last. Claude did too, soon after, with Athanasia's visiting him.

Alice didn't know what exactly was going on because she wasn't allowed near them. And again, she got the story continuation late: while Athanasia was alright, Claude did not remember her. Claude didn't remember Lily, his daughter, and he was convinced that it was all a joke. He was suffering from amnesia, and Athanasia, in her shock, fainted.

. . .

Athanasia sat on a couch, curled up.

Apparently, it's been ten days that me and Daddy have been asleep. And Daddy's suffering from amnesia.

I'm not really sure where Alice is, because I haven't seen her the whole time. But she woke up only one day after that incident, so I'm not sure I should be surprised... it's Alice, after all.

Daddy doesn't want to see me, and he can't remember me. I'm locked up, and he'll kill me if he sees me. Raven's gone. I can't see Alice, so I don't know if she's okay. Felix keeps telling me she is, though.

I can't be with my dad, or Raven, or my knight. I can't even go outside.

It was like they were mocking her; the gardens, built for her, that she could see clearly from her windows. But she could only watch from a distance.

It's strange... Was I abnormally happy until now? Because, it feels like precious things are disappearing from me...

Her windows had curtains pulled over, so she wouldn't see. But if she looked out the window, she would see a little glimpse of Alice, laying down underneath the shade of a wall of foliage.

With an arm over her eyes, Alice was awoken by a sudden voice,

"Who are you."

She sat up, resting her arm on her knee. It was Claude, accompanied by Felix, who was still trying to get him to remember through items and little actions.

"Your majesty, that's-"

"You're a royal guard. Who said you could laze off on my land?" Despite Felix trying to interrupt him, he walked ahead until he was less than a foot away from her. "Your impertinence is highly offensive."

Alice, unaffected by his withering glare, just stared up at him. The emperor was in pain, didn't remember, and was easily agitated, from what Robane told her. So was he taking something out on her, or actually bothered by her sleeping on the grass? She didn't know. Could be both. Or something else entirely.