Chapter Two: Athy's Guard Dog

Athanasia was four years old when she met Alice.

Alone in a garden to pick flowers, or so she thought, she crossed paths with the silver-haired girl dressed in worn masculine clothes. Her hair was cut short and unkept, hiding her eyes, and she was pale, looking like she didn't sleep much.

Still, Athanasia, standing before her, dropped her flowers in awe.

She's pretty.

Her hair covered her eyes, but when she saw a shine of green behind them, Athanasia promptly paused.

Silver hair. Tired green eyes. Worn out clothes. A sword hidden under her cape. An appearance like that of a wanderer.

"What's your name?"

".... Al." Her answer was curt.

Just standing beside her and feeling dwarfed, Athanasia sweated when she drew a conclusion.

Al... Alice!!!!! Jeanette's guard!

She gulped, remembering who Alice was in the Lovely Princess; a royal guard known for her bad attitude, extreme loyalty to Jeanette, and exceptional skill. Already, she was mentally reciting her role in the book.

Alice, who didn't get along with anyone, was assigned to Jeanette for her unrivalled skill, and was taken by her kindness. In Jeanette, she saw her mother, and swore herself to her.

Jeanette was so lucky... Alice was so loyal that, at Athanasia's execution, she defied the kingdom and caused a commotion to stall it. She was so strong that she killed a number of royal guards and civilians in an instant. For that, she was executed as well, and could've run away, but instead took the blame to save Jeanette and her fiance.

"I was happy, young miss," Alice would tell Jeanette with a smile; her last words to her.

She's horrifyingly capable, ruthless, faithful, and someone you want to be on the good side of.

But, the only one she really liked was Jeanette...

She stopped her pondering, as Alice's shining hair dazzled her with a little movement.

Like a polished blade, she awed over her locks. Though tousled, its beauty underneath couldn't go unnoticed. I want to see her eyes, she thought. "I like your hair! It's shiny and clean, like steel! Can I see your eyes?"

Her eyes were intentionally hidden behind long bangs. Alice flinched.

"Athy thinks you're gorgeous!!"

That was when Athanasia saw it; a glimpse of green when Alice's head tilted up slightly. Wonder shone in her visible eye.

"Your eyes are like green gems! Whuzzit... Emerald?" Athanasia wanted a book, just to distinguish the exact color of her eyes. For that, she needed Alice to come with her to make sure. Also, to make sure she didn't disappear for the next ten years and end up serving Jeanette. "Fluorite? Athy needs a book... Come with Athy!!"

"N-No... That's-"

Athanasia paid no mind, and grabbed her hand without waiting. Her fingers were rough, but she didn't bat an eye.

She pulled her toward the closest entranceway, in search of a shelf. Though the woman was supposed to be strong and cold, Athanasia was able to drag her along without breaking a sweat.

They walked through the pretty garden that Athanasia was used to seeing everyday; still, its beauty was always something to marvel at.

Managing to enter a room without being seen by any maids, Athanasia pulled out a book that identified gems; she used it often to know what treasures she stashed away were, so she found the book instantly.