Chapter 9

Yes, I did walk the hour it took me to get to the Black Patch, but every time it was always worth it. It's also not like I'm not armed, for God's sake I had my brother's old revolver- it was small which meant it could fit into a clutch bag and it also had his initials engraved onto the bottom of the wooden grip panel "L.McC"- it was too good to get rid of and anyway I knew how to shoot, as Polly taught me, with this gun.

Finally reaching the lushes, green, rolling hills of the Black Patch that I use to once call home; I let the tight grip on my clutch purse loosen as I knew I was in a safe place- I was home.

The bright colours of the wagons in the slight distance, were eye catching. They brought a pleasant contrast to the same rolling hills- that went on for miles. Horses grazing tied up to trees, but with ropes a decent length so they didn't feel trapped, not too far to my left; the thick grey smoke that emitted from the large fires that spread evenly across the camp.

I just stood there, taking it all in: the smell of fresh air, the elegant surroundings and the sound of distant chatter and laughter that had been released from the families. After some time, of just thinking, I carried on walking down towards the camp; I was instantly stopped by a cold sensation in the back of my head. "And where do you think you're going?" A thick Irish accent bellowed.

"Home." I simply responded, turning round grasping this man's wrist, knocking the revolver clean out of his grasp.

"Well if I never. You're the McCann girl," He stopped himself before he said something hurtful. "You've grown up since I last saw you. Looking for Theresa?" He asked.

"Know me too well, Jimmy." I replied with a huge grin pasted on my face. James Lee nodded to his left and again to his right, signalising that I was no 'threat'; then proceeded to guide me to the camp once again. I kept the smile on my face, as I slowly and carefully slid down the hill and into the camp right behind Jimmy, he reached out his hand for me to grab so I didn't fall flat on my face and into the mud, ruining my perfectly nice dress. 

Still holding onto Jimmy's hand, he directed me into the circle of beautiful wagons. I scanned the camp quickly, before my gaze settled on a certain turquoize wagon, covered in floral prints and a yellow step ladder. Out stepped a girl, no older than 16, with long brown hair that draped over her bare shoulders, down her back; she wore a white off-the-shoulder t-shirt that tucked into a red and white striped skirt that went all the way to the floor- no doubt that she wasn't wearing any shoes, she says it's to feel connected to the world, it makes her happy, so naturally I don't question it. In her hand, she held some pink tulips, that she must have only just picked as they hadn't started to wilt yet.

I waited beside the fire, for her to notice me, as soon as she did she had to take a double look at me before her caramel eyes widened, her grip on the tulips loosened as she gripped her skirt and held it up a little before turning her walk into a run and then proceeding to throw herself at me and pulled me into a hug. "Took your time coming here!" She exclaimed with her Scottish accent riding out any British in her words.

"I do have work and a life T," I said into her hair, with a chuckle. "The boys are coming soon, they have the car so they will be here sooner than I took. I don't know if Finn is coming because we had another...you know I don't know what to call it, but yeh. However Isaiah is definitely coming." I said pulling away from her, she was at arms length when I saw her cheeks begin to glow a bright red at the mention of Isaiah. I must say I find it hilarious, by how much she is in love with that boy.

"Oh! How do I look? Do I have mud on my face? I was out all morning you see, I was collecting flowers for my mother, she needed them for her wagon. Oh no, I wore this when he last saw me; I can't wear this he will think I never wash." Theresa spoke as she frantically waved her hands around her hair, her face and as she brushed down her skirt. I couldn't help but let a smile cross me face, as my hand went to cover it so she didn't get too embarrassed.