Chapter 12

It had only been one day, since the incident at the Fair and Polly hadn't let me out of her sight. I knew as soon as she would relax a little more, I could go see Theresa again; I hope she would calm down soon because I looked like a lost puppy following Aunt Pol around every-fucking-where.

This time, we were at the Legal Office; you know the front that Tommy put on to cover up the illegal side. It wasn't late, but after doing errands all day with Polly, it seemed much later than it was. Tapping my fingertips on the edge of some woman's desk impatiently, I just wanted to go home, why didn't Tommy just hurry the fuck up? As if on cue, the man of the hour walked in.

Tommy approached the fire escape that led to to his office and found Polly waiting in it. She had an agenda. I could hear Tommy enter the main area, he looked at me tipped his hat and strolled into his office.

"Newmarket was profitable." Tommy spoke.

"Arthur told me how you left your message..." Polly ignored his first statement. Tommy walked on, "And when I asked him where his medicine was, he said you poured it away." Polly continued, Tommy carried on walking round his office. "That's how it works in London isn't it. Every boss has to have a mad dog at his side." Surprisingly, Tommy controlled his reactions. "Somebody who can't be predicted. Somebody wrong in the head. Darby Sabini's got Georgie Sewell. Alfie Solomons has got some Portuguese boxer."

Silence.

"But Tommy Shelby. He uses his own brother." I watched as Polly inched closer, Tommy fought to not react. Aunt Pol just kept pushing it. "You pour away his medicine and take him into their back yard and set him loose." Suddenly, and unexpectedly, Tommy turned.

"Opium and bromide is all I poured away." Polly tried to confront Tommy, once again. Tommy yelled, "Stop fucking fighting me!"

Polly yelled back. "No!" A pause rung out through the room, I couldn't just leave it, Polly would have killed Tommy if I never stepped in.

"Somebody has to, Tommy." I spoke up, Tommy's head snapping towards me.

"She stays out of it." Tommy pivoted round to Polly again, pointing to me. "I don't want her anywhere near this business, only until it's safe Pol." He stated again, focusing his full attention on Aunt Pol now.

Polly turned and reached into her pocket. She pulled out a telegram in a yellow envelope marked 'urgent'. She handed Thomas the telegram. "Ciara came to me, with this. An hour ago." Tommy read the telegram. The message was spelt out in bold capitals. It said 'LET US BREAK BREAD TOGETHER'. "There was no name on it." Tommy looked up. "But the address is Camden Town."

There was another pause as they peered at each other, they then both moved their gaze to me, as if they were expecting me to say something. I did have something to say, "I was going to burn it. Should have, actually." Tommy put the telegram down on his desk and unlocked a drawer, proceeding to put the telegram in it and locked it again. I just stared at him and spoke again eventually. "Well done Tommy. One foot already in the grave. And you don't want me involved but here I am Thomas. Here I fucking am." And with that, I left to get into Polly's car.

"Pam, I'm going home. Goodnight, I pray that you don't get bent over a desk tonight, love." I said with a smirk and a hug. I quite liked Pam, she was sweet and quiet. Just what Tommy needed in this God forsaken business, someone who won't say nothing to the coppers.

"That'll be the bloody day." She responded with a chuckle. "You of to go wait in the car?"

"Actually, you know what? I think Ima go to work tonight. Tell Polly I wanted to walk home. And tell her that I told you I was going to go straight to bed when I got home." I instructed her.

"Of course, just be careful. I heard that nasty men are out tonight. I don't want your innocence to be ruined." She responded.

"Thank you, Pam. Once again, have a nice night." I finished, while turning and exiting the building.

It wasn't a long walk to the Betting Den, but I hated it all the same. The dark alleys and wondering men, always set me on the verge of horror. I emerged into the misty street and headed to the lit streets that led to the Den. I couldn't help but let my mind wonder to how Tommy had began to look like a man making progress, like he was pleased with his work. I had almost approached Garrison Lane, I clutched my purse even tighter as I saw two strange looking men; standing by quite a posh car, they seemed to be eyeing me up. Not in a sexual way, almost in a way that they thought that they new me but they couldn't figure out who I was.

I heard their little chat, before it got loud and fully caught my attention. "That's the fucking Shelby Girl!" Cockneys. That's what they were.

Shit! What were the Cockneys doing up in Birmingham? What the fuck had Tommy done? Of course Thomas had to fuck with the Cockneys.

"That's me." I announced turning round, to face them. "But don't call me that. I ain't no one's property, especially not the Shelby's. So before you decide to speak to me, get my name right and then carry on." I had enough of being referred to as their "property", I was my own person and I should start to be treated like one.

"This one's got a mouth on her, perfect." Stated the other man, I didn't recognise their faces, so they definitely were the ones Tommy was against in this 'war'. "She's a pretty one too." He finished.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little, this man was like twice my age and I wasn't even 15 just yet. "She's also underage." I responded before starting to walk away, I instantly felt a hard touch around my small wrists.

Here we go again. I said to myself, I knew how to fight if they tried anything on me but before I knew it; I was pushed up against a wall, my arms pinned to my sides and my feet trapped between his. I started to think of what to do but he wouldn't budge. Yeah, it was safe to say I couldn't fight my way out of this.

"Stop moving!" He shouted in my face. I didn't, I didn't stop moving; I hoped that I could wriggle my way out until I felt a hard slap across my left check. Fuck, that would 100% leave a bruise. "I said stop fucking moving, you bitch!" That was it. I was fuming now, he actually doesn't know who the fuck he is messing with.

My breathing became hitched, like it did back in the Fair. I prayed to the Lord that whatever happened to me then, wasn't happening to me right now. I took a deep breathe and prepared myself for the noise that was about to come next.

I screamed.

I hoped that it was loud enough to attracted the attention of someone.

It did.

I heard heavy footsteps coming across the street, multiple. Okay Ciara, just carry on breathing; you'll be fine I told myself. "What the fuck have you just done?" Said one of the Cockneys.

My heart began thumping heavily in my chest, I was convinced it was about to leave my body. However, before it did I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe. The weight that was once on my wrists was lifted; I heard grunts and pleads of help.

Someone had come to my rescue. All I could do, was slide down the dark, brick wall and curl up on the ground. I wanted to cry but I knew I shouldn't, the men hadn't done any real harm to me but I knew that if no one came they would have.

I finally had the courage to open my eyes and look who my saviours were. John Fucking Shelby and some random Peaky men that I knew by face.

Holy fuck, I'm going to be in so much shit with Polly when I get home.

____________________________________________________

Thought I'd be nice and upload another chapter this week, I'm even starting the next chapter😂 I hope you lot like this, I know it's a little messy but in a way it's kind of a filler.

Love C x