Chapter 10

The walk felt longer than it actually was, the dreaded silence between me and Finn was awkward. That is the only way I could describe it. I kept my eyes focused on the couple in front of me the whole time; that couple being Theresa and Isaiah, he had his arm slung over her shoulder and every now and then pulled her close into him- God they made me feel so lonely- T's giggles filled the air as Isaiah whispered things into her ear. He made her happy, I love it when people I class as family are happy, however sometimes I get jealous that I will never be 100% full of happiness; especially with that empty pit in my heart that no one will be able to ever fill, again.

"Honestly, we just need to let them naturally get together, we can't force it Isaiah." I heard T quietly speak, probably in hope I didn't hear but that didn't really work obviously.

"I know, I know T. But you know what Finn-boy is like, he's a pussy, and well, Ciara...she's very strong minded." He laughed to himself, earning a light chuckle from Theresa too.

"Yes, that is true. She was raised by Polly, so what do you expect?" Theresa responded, "And well, Finn is the brother Tommy is never gonna get round too. Especially now that he is trying to make the Shelby name 'clean'." She said even quieter but I could still hear her, if I concentrated my hearing on it, which I did. However, as soon as I heard T say that I slowly moved my gaze onto Finn; who I noticed had his hands in his grey trouser pockets, looking down at the ground. As I unintentionally fiddled about with the locket that enlaced my neck.

The locket was a relatively small golden circle, that hung on a golden chain. If you opened it, you would see a family photo; not a normal family photo though. It was a photo of the Shelby family and me. There was this one day before the boys got sent off to war; it was a hot summery day and we went on a picnic to some random field just outside the smoke and noise of the city. I just about remember it, there was a photographer that seemed to be taking photos of random people and offered to take one of us; the one memory that is distinct in my head is when they referred to me as Polly's daughter and that's why I had a toothy grin in that photo, that was one of the happiest days of my life. People do wonder why my brother and father aren't in it and that was because, well they got shipped off earlier than they were first told and so thats is why they were never in it. As soon as the photograph was developed we got it in a few sizes and we bought quite a few too: one for the kitchen to put in a frame, one for my locket, one each in a wallet for the boys- which I mailed off to them- and one for Finn too; which I believe is in his top left blazer pocket and Ada did have one until she burnt it in the fire the same night the police took Freddy away.

While I twirled the locket between my fingers, I had noticed that we were at the front entrance to the fair. I had inched closer to Finn and the other two so I didn't lose them, I felt an arm snake around my lower back and I assumed it was Finn so I went with it. When the hand had tugged at my waist and pulled my into a much larger body, I had instantly realised that it wasn't Finn and tried to squirm out of this man's grasp. The man didn't like that I did that and so he pushed me with such force up against a wooden pole- it was so busy that I instantly knew that the three of my friends wouldn't have noticed I wasn't there until they actually tried to look for me-Once I was up against the pole, I felt numb.

I was scared.

I wasn't focusing on what the man was saying, I was trying to control my breathing; this had happened once before: my breathing got out of control, my head was spinning, I felt numb and I felt like my legs were about to give way. Before I knew what was happening, the man pushed me away and left. That was it, he didn't hurt me. 

I waited a few minutes to steady my vision and breathing before entering the fair once again- or attempting too- and just like that I got in before any other creepy ass men tried anything on me. 'Shit' I thought to myself , I didn't know where any of them were; how the fuck am I supposed to find them? It was as if they had almost read my mind, they came round the corner; Theresa fully sprinting towards me and the boys having a light jog. Her hands cupped my cheeks, that had slight tear stains on them, "Where the fuck did you go, C?" She questioned.

"I just went to the lav, I got a little overwhelmed by the large crowds... that's all." I responded placing my left hand over hers, that was still planted on my face.

"Thought you upped and left us here mate." Isaiah piped up, trying to lighten the mood.

"Can't get rid of me that easily, mate." I said mocking his tone of voice slightly, which made Theresa chuckle a little.

Finn had come up behind me and whispered in my ear "I don't want them to get rid of you, in all honesty." To which I instantly blushed too, thankfully Theresa and Isaiah had already started to wonder off to the next exciting thing.

Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours, "How long have we been here?" I huffed out.

"20 minutes Ciara! Getting bored already?" Isaiah asked.

"Yeah, this really isn't my type of thing." I responded pointing around the area that we stood, "I'm not a fan of queueing." I spoke again with a light chuckle.

"It's a ferries wheel, how can you not like those?" Theresa questioned.

"It's the heights, she don't like heights." Finn filled in before I had the chance too.

"I don't mind them, I just don't feel well." I responded pulling a face at Finn, which always made him laugh. My hands started to twitch and so I reached for my necklace, to fiddle with again. As my hand reached up to clasp the circular locket, I felt nothing.

It was gone.

 What the fuck, how can I have lost it? I never take it off, it has never fallen off before. "SHIT!" I shouted, that sure did turn a few heads, including my friends. My breathing had become unsteady and my hands started to shake, the world became very dizzy; almost instantly.

"C? What is it? Are you okay?" Theresa placed her hand on my shoulder. All I could respond with was by shaking my head.

"Oh fuck, it's her locket. It's gone." I heard Finn comment, I couldn't see him clearly but I saw that he had lifted his arms up and had placed his hands on his head in frustration. "Ciara, you need to tell me where you went, when we first came in." He said gently.

"I..I was grabbed by a man, I'm sorry. I didn't know what to do, so I tried to leave him and he got angry. He pushed me up against a post and then I went all numb and... well I was a bit like this." I replied almost out of breathe, from the unsteady breathing that I had now encountered. "I couldn't feel anything, it was like my body was shutting down...that must have been when he took it. SHIT!" I exclaimed. My breathing only just started to slow down until the realisation of my locket being stolen hit me.

"Ciara, listen to me, it's okay we are going to find it and the bastard who stole it." Finn replied, inching closer to me and enclosing me in a warm hug, probably hoping for me to relax a little; which almost didn't work. Finn began to run his hand up and down my hair softly, to calm me down or comfort me; I did not know which one but it felt nice.

"Let's get that son of a bitch!" Spoke Isaiah and without hesitation, he stormed off in search of a man, who he didn't know. "Um, Ciara before we go on a wild goose chase what does he look like?" He swung himself round, pointing at me with his little embarrassed smirk.

This allowed me to let out a little laugh into Finn's chest, "Plump, dark haired, and kinda small." I replied.

"Good to know." Finn proceeded, striding into a crowd with his head held high; placed on his head was a crown fit for a Peaky Prince.

____________________________________________________________

Hey everyone, sorry for the poor update but my Wattpad lagged out last night and didn't allow me to post the chapter; when I went to try it again this morning it had deleted half of this chapter. I will try and remember what I had written, and I will post it as a separate chapter. Have a good day lovely people.

Love C x