Chapter 8

3:41 p.m.
08/24/23

"Hi sir." I said looking up trying to hide what was in my hand.

"Mr. Brown, I've been looking for you all day." The dean said.

"Well, you found me." I said nervously.

"Is that marijuana?" He asked.

"Uh, this." I pointed to my joint. "No this is a cigarette, I-I rolled it myself." I said hoping he'd believe me.

"Brown, do I look like an idiot?" He asked sternly.

"I mean, I don't know you enough to answer that." I said. "I usually don't judge people based of their appearance." He sat across from me and stared at me. Fuck I could probably get kicked out for this shit.

"At least I know you've agreed to the program." He chuckled.

"What do you mean? I didn't agree to anything." I said confused.

"It's either that or expulsion". He said while smirking.

"Are you blackmailing me?" I asked.

"No, it's just a simple ultimatum." He said.

I looked down at the table and back at him. I wasn't sure how I was going to get out of this situation. I was being blackmailed. Like frfr. It scared me that I wasn't sure what he wanted from me.

"Um...what is the program?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'll email you about it later on." He said.

"It's not no human trafficking shit is it?" I asked concerned.

"What! No, what kind of person do you think I am?" He asked insulted.

"I don't know, I'm just curious on what it could be." I said.

"Well it's definitely not that." He said. The dean got up and reached his hand toward me. "Mr. Brown, I think you know what I'm asking for." He said.

I looked at him confused then barely realized. "Oh right." I said dumbly. I handed him the joint. "Here you go sir." I said heartbroken. A wasted joint I thought.

"See you around, Mr. Brown." He said happily while walking away.

"This is so frustrating." I exhaled. I don't want to be apart of this stupid program but I don't want to get expelled either. I crossed my arms and lied my head on the table then closed my eyes. I hate this so much.

"Chris." I heard Gaby say from a far. Great, time to pretend like everything's fine. I exhaled then lifted up my head and looked toward her direction.

"Hey Gaby." I smiled leaning back on my chair. She walked closer and I realized she seemed kind of mad.

"You have some nerve blowing me off earlier." She said annoyed standing in front of me.

"I know, I'm sorry." I said lowly looking down. "But let me make it up to you." I said looking up at her.

"Let me guess, you're gonna let me ditch you when you want me to meet you somewhere?" She said smartly then turning around.

I laughed. "No." I got up to follow her. "Where you going?" I asked kinda worried.

"Wouldn't you be somewhat upset if you were waiting on someone for a couple hours." She snapped then turned around to stop.

"I mean." I looked around then at her. She looked angrier. I should choose my words carefully right now.

"Yeah, but I really am sorry." I said apologetic. "Gaby, come on let me make it up to you. We can go to 5 & diner." I said knowing it's her favorite place. I saw her face light up.