III.

Dear Diary,

Sorry to have kept you waiting, but it is Friday, February 7th, 2019. I called my mom last night, she said she sent me something in the mail, so I assume the flowers must be from her. It was my father's tradition since I was a little girl to buy me a rose for Valentine's Day, but it was never this extravagant. I guess it's because my brother just proposed to his girlfriend now fiancé and I'm "forever alone" as he puts it. I don't sweat it though. It's also finally Friday and our 3rd quarter parent teacher conference is today. I'm really excited because this time their including kindergarten so I don't have to reach out to the parents manually. I'm also really excited to showcase my students work to their parents. I just hope they can all make it, I know a few have to work late, but if they can't, I'm their child's cheerleader. I gotta set up some snacks so.

Until then,

Diana

"They better be satisfied with some mini water bottles and Capri suns, the district think they pay us enough for lil sandwiches and shit?" Semére threw the juice pouches into a punch bowl filled with ice.

"Come on, you didn't even get any cookies?"

"Look, I got them some chips and fruit snacks. To go snacks for the ride home!" She went to her classroom, mumbling something about this broke ass school.

One thing about me is, I go hard for my class. I got a little fruit spread and cookies, and juice boxes set up inside the class on my desk, which I did clear for the occasion. Each child has their own portfolio on their desk and their art projects will be the first thing their parents see before they walk in.

First parent to arrive was Lani's mother, Mrs. Jameson.

"Good evening Ms. Jones. I appreciate you putting up with my daughter all day." She joked.

"Good evening to you too Mrs. Jameson and it's my pleasure! You know I like her taste in colors."

"That's all because of you! She plans on going yellow after Valentine's Day."

Lord, this child is so crazy.

I interacted with all my students and their parents and found out a lot about them. A lot moms talked to me about how much their child  loves me and what do I do that keeps them so good at school but they'll be ripping walls at home. I glance over and see Mr. Birthwaite and DeNali walking in through the door. They actually stopped to look at some of DeNali's accomplishments before she noticed me.

DeNali came running in and hugged me tightly and I returned the favor. "Ms. Jones! Ms. Jones!"

"Hey my star! Did you show your father your portfolio yet?"

Her father walked up to me, looking like something was bothering him.

"Good evening, Mr. Birthwaite." I gave him a reassuring smile.

In a trying to be calm, but really serious tone, he replied, "Good evening, Ms. Jones. Yes, I saw her portfolio and I-"

"Good evening Ms. Jones! Girl you are rocking that blue suit!" DeNali's mother, Ms. Desirée DuBois yells from the main entrance, switching her hips to our direction.

DeNali's mother wasn't the most active parent. She just made sure her daughter was at school on time and picked on time. I don't see her at PTA meetings or student programs, but DeNali was always well kept so I didn't assume much.

"You're late." Mr. Birthwaite greeted.

"But I'm here." She shot back.

I cleared my throat. "Thank you, Ms. Scott, I love that color and that hairstyle. I wish I could pull it off."