The Girl

A young woman swept the littered streets. People walked around her kicking dirty water into her eyes.

A trooper bumped into her and she fell, spitting on the ground. The trooper held out a hand to help her up but she didn't take it.

"Are you alright?" the trooper asked.

"I'm fine," the woman replied, getting up. "I have to go."

The woman entered a boarding house up the street. A human woman with a red headscarf sat at a small desk chewing something and flipping through a magazine.

"Liana," she greeted. Liana paused at the stairs and turned back to the woman. "Someone came looking for you, his name was Ga'tok."

"What'd you tell him?"

"That you weren't here." Liana nodded and ascended the stairs to her small room. She sat down on the rackety bed and took out a small wooden box from her pocket. Inside was a necklace with a kyber crystal on it, the top of the box had an inscription Alderaan with a picture of the scenery.

Liana put on the necklace and held the crystal close to her heart.

"Alderaan," she said to herself, smiling. Liana had always dreamt of the place. 

She had been planning on leaving Kafrene and going there for a while, she had made enough money to get tickets. She would find whoever gave her the box and necklace, they must have cared for her enough to give her gifts.

She packed the few changes of clothes she had, some hygiene products, handy tools, and a blanket into a bag. She took one last look around the room before shoving her blaster in her holster, obscuring it under her jacket.

"Hey, Ryca?" Liana called to the woman at the desk. "Where can I get cheap tickets?"

"Cassian should be able to help you, Gwen went to see him earlier, some audition at a unit in the Black Market." Ryca shook her head. "Be careful of him, he's a trickster."

"Thank you for everything Ryca." Ryca waved as Liana exited the building into the bustling streets.