Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: An Unlikely Pair and Peeves

All cheer and excitement died, as everyone stares up at Draco Malfoy who stays rooted to the stool.

"Aren't Malfoys supposed to be in Slytherin?", someone asks. Draco looks nervously around the Great Hall before locking eyes with Y/N. She gives him a reassuring smile before scanning the Gryffindor table for Fred and George. When she finds them, Y/N gives them a pleading look, silently begging them to welcome him.

 Now Fred and George Weasley weren't usually biased, but their father had told them multiple stories about the Malfoys which didn't really make them seem like nice people. They were shocked just like everyone else when Lucius Malfoy's only son was sorted into Gryffindor, and they weren't pleased at all, but there was something about the pleading look on their little sister's face that broke them. Despite her mischievous personality, Y/N Weasley was one of the kindest people either of them have ever met, and both Fred and George thought that they were lucky to be able to call her their little sister. Both boys sigh, knowing that Y/N would never forgive them if they didn't. 

"Oy, Malfoy-", starts George.

"-over here!", finishes Fred. This seems to bring Draco back down to reality. He stands up and shakily starts towards Fred and George. He sits down in between them as all three of them look over to Y/N. She smiles at them brightly as Professor McGonagall resumes reading out names. There weren't many people left now. "Moon" "Nott" "Parkinson" then a pair of twin girls, "Patil" and "Patil" then "Perks, Sally-Anne" and then,  -- "Potter, Harry!" As Harry stepped forward, whispers suddenly broke out like little hissing fires all over the hall. 

"Potter, did she say?"

 "The Harry Potter?" Harry gripped the edges of the stool as Y/N watched him argue with the hat. She smiles to herself, already knowing what house he was meant for. 

"GRYFFINDOR!", the hat shouts. Y/N smiles as he took off the hat and walked shakily toward the Gryffindor table. Percy got up and shook his hand vigorously, while the Weasley twins yelled, "We got Potter! We got Potter!" And now there were only four people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined Harry at the Gryffindor table." Turpin, Lisa," became a Ravenclaw, and then it was Ron's turn. He was pale green by now. A second later, the hat had shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!" Y/N spots Harry clapping loudly with the rest as Ron collapses into the chair next to him.

"Weasley, Y/N." Y/N approaches the hat confidently as McGonagall drops the hat over her head. 

"Hmm, another Weasley", says a small voice in her ear, "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, my goodness, yes -- and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting...So where shall I put you?" Y/N grips the sides of the stool like Harry, and thinks Perhaps Gryffindor? 

 "Perhaps Gryffindor, eh?", says the small voice teasingly, "Ahh, I see it now. Your courage outweighs your ambition, but more importantly, your wand! "  

My wand?, Y/n questions in her mind. 

"Yes, dear girl, your wand. You, my dear, are destined for great things, oh yes", says the voice, "The wand of- Yes it's all so clear-- better be GRYFFINDOR!" Y/N  hears the hat shout the last word to the whole hall. She takes off the hat and walks briskly toward the Gryffindor table. She sits down in between George and Draco in deep thought, though they're quickly broken by Percy's voice. 

"Well done, Y/N and Ron, excellent", he says pompously, across Harry as "Zabini, Blaise," was made a Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolls up her scroll and takes the Sorting Hat away. Y/N looks down at her empty gold plate.  Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He beams at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.