Chapter 1- A Kind of Magic

December 21, 1986

"It's finally Christmas break! Hurrah!" I shouted into the telephone to my father. "I'll be staying at my flat- I'll join you and Mum for dinner on the 25th for sure."

"Good. Sounds like a plan. Your mother and I wouldn't want to miss our only daughter for Christmas dinner."

I smiled. Just four more days and the greatest day of the year would be upon us. Christmas had held so many special memories for me since the time I was a little girl, but now I was 22. I still hoped that this season would be as special for me now as it was when I was a child.

"I'm trying to decorate my flat, Dad," I said. "Do you think I should use a red bow on the wreath, or a gold bow?"

"A gold bow sounds nice," my father replied. "Oh Ella, you're always so Christmas-spirited,"

He was right. "Gold it is then. So, what do you think of the weather?"

"The snow is beautiful, so light and fluffy, like a blanket, or a thin layer of marshmallows."

"You should be a poet," I responded with a giggle.

"Nah, I like being a light technician far more."

"Well, better get working. Talk to you later." I hung up and reached into a cardboard box full of bows and garlands of lights. To my surprise, my fluffy gray cat, Smoky, popped out of the box, and I started laughing hysterically.

Humming 'Deck the Halls', I strung the garlands from the ceiling and around the window that overlooked the city of London. Decorating had always been so fun for me. When I finished the lights, I hung the wreath, with the gold bow, on the front door, then put my miniature artificial Christmas tree on the coffee table. My apartment was cozy and tight, so a regular-sized tree wouldn't have fit. After finishing the task of decorating, I collapsed on the sofa, satisfied with my work.

That's when the phone rang. "Stupid telephone," I said, "interrupting my relaxation." Still, I rushed to pick it up.

"Miss Elllllllaaaaaa," a familiar voice sang. "Hello. It's me, Roger. You remember? The world-famous drummer?"

"Wow, yeah, I remember. One does not simply forget about Roger Taylor."

I'd met Roger, as well as the other members of the band Queen, backstage at a concert in July. Never in a million years would I have imagined that it would happen, and five months later, we'd still be in touch. It had been two months since my last meeting with the Queen members, and I was ecstatic that Rog took so much interest in staying friends.

"So, the boys and I were wondering if you'll be in London for the next few days?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I just came home from Oxford University today. I'll be in the city until New Year's."

"That's great!" he exclaimed. "Freddie was wondering if you would like to come over to his house tomorrow morning. Are you free?"

Visiting Freddie Mercury's house?! Was this real? "Um, of course! Can you drive me there?"

"It would be my pleasure."

"Thank you, Roggie."

"No problem, El."

"You can come pick me up around 9 a.m. See you tomorrow," I said.

"Bye." He hung up, and I sighed dreamily. Tomorrow would be absolutely wonderful.