Chapter 2: The Black Dragon

This chapter contains mentions of neglect and bullying and some minor swearing.

The very next morning saw the majority of the viking population on Berk in their massive Great Hall, all raising their voices in protest for what was sure to follow. The very nature of this gathering was Stoick’s idea to try to once again rally his people to go for a search for the dragons. He was sick of waiting around for the damned devils bringing the fight to them, usually with the humans losing more be it food, mauling and other injuries, or just the lives of their kin.

“Either we finish them or they'll finish us! It's the only way we'll be rid of them! If we find the nest and destroy it, the dragons will leave. They'll find another home.” Stoick harshly stabs one of his smaller blades deep into the table before him, piercing through the map that was laid out, directly where they believe the dragon nest to be.

“One more search. Before the ice sets in.” He says quieter than he was earlier, more determined.

He was met with pretty much every viking in the Hall protesting or saying that they would not be able to do that, they had other chores, or they wanted to stay back with their family and prepare them for the frigid winter that was to come soon.

“We’re vikings. It’s an occupational hazard. Now who’s with me?” The chief ties to amp his people.

Everyone looks away, not believing they’ll make it out of this round. Some even from the last trip were fearful as they had barely made it out with their lives the last time. The people within the crowd all started coming up with excuses and Stoick could swear he even heard a viking say something about having to do their axe returns.

He sighs quietly at his people's actions, understanding why but knowing this is the right thing and that this is what must be done to protect his people. He doesn’t want to pull this card, but it seems like his only option right now.

“Alright. Those who stay will look after Hicca.”

Everyone immediately started agreeing to go. Enthusiastic murmurs and nods all about packing and readying the ships.

Phlegma the Fierce’s voice rose above the others, loud and clear. 

“To the ships!”

Spitelout also roars above the din.

“I’m with you Stoick!”

“That's more like it.” 

The crowd of vikings rush for the door, leaving Gobber and Stoick alone. Gobber gulps back the contents of his tankard attachment and scrapes back the bench speaking up as he does so.

“I'll pack my undies.”

“No, I need you to stay and train some new recruits.” Stoick denies his friend.

“Oh, perfect. And while I'm busy, Hicca can cover the stall. Molten steel, razor sharp blades, lots of time to herself...what could possibly go wrong?” Gobber states sarcastically. 

Stoick sinks onto the bench beside Gobber, his brow burdened.

“What am I going to do with her Gobber?”

“Put her in training with the others.”

“No, I'm serious.”

“So am I.”

Stoick turns to him, glaring.

“I’m not putting my only daughter in that kind of danger. She'd be killed before you let the first dragon out of its cage.”

“Oh, you don't know that.”

“I do know that, actually.”

“No, you don't.”