Chapter 3: Training

This chapter contains minor swearing and mentions of abuse and neglect.

In the morning she woke up late. She rushes to bind her chest, braid her hair, and dress in her day clothes. She even almost ran out of the house without the axe her father left her with.

Even if she no longer wanted to partake in dragon training, she couldn't help but smile at the axe as she hefts it above her shoulder. This battle axe was her father's favourite. It was small things like this where she was reminded of how her father used to be, and that he does indeed still love her.

She dashed out her front door and felt something from her pocket bump against her side. The apple.

At least I'll be able to eat something…

Eventually she catches up with the group, which, by the looks of it, doesn't even know she's there. She watches as Gobber raises a massive iron gate at the entrance of a vast stone arena. 

He swings his arms out in a theatrical manner declaring,

"Welcome to dragon training!" 

Everyone files through the gate, and out onto the arena floor. They take it in like gladiators entering the colosseum. The walls are covered in scorched silhouettes of blasted Vikings that met their end. It's a grim yet awe-inspiring place.

"No turning back." Astrid says in an almost awe inspired voice.

"I hope I get some serious burns." Tuffnut puts out there, completely serious.

"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back. That would be awesome!" Ruffnut gets more excited the more she talks.

"Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it." Astrid jokes with the twins. 

"Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it." Hicca responds to all of them with the most sarcastic tone she could muster up around them.

The recruits turn to see Hicca behind them. There are quite a few audible groans from everyone, including her friends.

"Oh great. Who let her in?" Ruffnut sneered from her spot beside her brother.

Tuffnut frowns slightly at her comment and watches as Hicca stands off to the side, away from the group.

"Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village." Gobber says ignoring the teens and trying to hype them up.

"Hicca already killed a Night Fury, so does that disqualify her or...?" Snotlout jeers and takes a jab at his cousin.

The recruits all have a laugh and chat in the background.

No one would believe me, even if I told them what happened just yesterday. I'm not sure if Fish or Az would fully believe me… 

Tuff watches as Hicca deflates some at their laughter and Snotlout's comment. He watches as the girl seems to get lost in her own thoughts. Not even noticing when his sister asks to transfer to a class with the cool Vikings.

Gobber throws a supportive arm around Hicca and ushers her along.

"Don't worry there Hicca. You're small and you're weak. That'll make you less of a target. They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead so you should be fine." Gobber tries to cheer her up to no avail.

Gobber then sticks her in line with the others and continues on toward five massive reinforced doors. You can hear the mighty beasts roar and bellow behind their reinforced prison.