Chapter 9: The Final Strife

This chapter contains the final battle. Descriptive detail, minor swearing.

The Red Death remains focused on Stoick.

This is it...

It rears back and inhales. Gas begins to amass, when suddenly a blast explodes against the back of The Red Death's head. It turns distracted, as a crimson dragon punches through the flames, banking across the sky. Followed by a Nadder, Monstrous Nightmare, Zippleback, and a Gronckle. They roll in unison, revealing the recruits riding on their backs. Hicca leads, with Tuffnut holding onto her. 

Gobber and Stoick, watch slack-jawed, in awe. 

"Ruff, Lout, watch your backs! Move Fishlegs!" Hicca's voice sounds commanding in the sky.

The monster shakes off the blast and snaps in their wake. Hicca directs her squadron out of harm's way. They climb out of reach and circle each other. 

"Look at us, we're on a dragon! We're on dragons, all of us!" Ruffnut excitedly calls down to the group of Vikings that haven't made it to the other side yet.

"Up, let's move it!" Hicca's punctures Ruff's excitement.

The dragons climb past the Red Death. 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Gobber hobbles over to Stoick. 

"Every bit the boar-headed, stubborn Viking you ever were." He remarks with a smile.

Stoick is speechless. 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

The group circles over the dragon's head. 

"Fish, break it down." Hicca demands.

"Okay. Heavily armored skull and tail made for bashing and crushing. Steer clear of both. Small eyes, large nostrils means it relies on hearing and smell." Fishlegs responds critically.

"Okay. Fish, Lout, hang in its blind spot. Make some noise and keep it confused. Ruff, Az, find out if it has a shot limit. Make it mad." Hicca directs.

"That's my specialty." Ruffnut chuckles.

"You said it sister!" Tuffnut couldn't help but agree with her.

"With pleasure, Hicca." Astrid cuts in with a wicked smirk.

"I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Don't worry, we got it covered!" Fishlegs calls to his friend.

"Yeah!" Snotlout confirms.

Hicca and Tuffnut peel away. The teens bank and dive toward the monster, splitting up. The girls race alongside the monster's head, taunting it. 

"Toad-wart!" Astrid calls.

"Butt Elf!" Ruffnut counters.

"Bride of Grendel!" Astrid snickers.

The Red Death unloads a spray of fire at the girls. They barely dodge it. Fishlegs and Snotlout hang behind its eyes, banging away at their shields, making a racket. The Red Death then opens all six of its eyes, spotting them. 

"Uh, this thing doesn't have a blind spot. Fuck, what do we do?!" Fishlegs begins to panic.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Hicca and Tuffnut keep searching for Toothless. Hicca finally spots him among the burning ships. 

"There!" She points out enthusiastically.