Chapter 7: The Pride of Berk and Her Secrets

This chapter contains swearing, abuse, and mentions of threats.

Later that night Hicca is lost in thought, her head is resting on her arm which is laid across her desk, full of Toothless drawings. Burdened with the weight of the world, Tuffnut and Toothless. Suddenly, Stoick appears in the doorway. Hicca jumps and quickly covers up her desk. 

"Dad! You're back!" She skirts around the bench, blocking Stoick's view of Toothless, the prosthetic fin, and many other drawings. 

"Gobber's not here, so…" She trails off while trying to act casual to cover up as much as possible. 

"I know. I came looking for you."

The simple statement strikes Hicca having her think she was caught.

Did he see any of the drawings…? 

"You did?" She manages to ask meekly. 

"You've been keeping secrets."

The pit of despair has opened and all but swallowed the girl, panic slowly giving way and making her legs give out. She slides, dragging the table's contents with her. 

"I... have?" 

"Just how long did you think you could hide it from me?"

She gulps, trying to find the oxygen to do anything.

"I don't know what you're…"

"Nothing happens on this island without me hearing about it." 

Hicca is beyond terrified.

"Oh?" She chokes out. 

"So." He pauses for a moment, taking the time to silently study his daughter. "Let's talk about that dragon." 

Blood drains from Hicca's face and she feels like the entire world has stopped. She can't breathe and the panic gets worse. She starts spitting and stuttering, trying to get the words out.

"Oh gods. Dad, I'm so sorry. I was going to tell you. I just didn't know how to--" 

Stoick starts laughing. Big, booming. Hicca stares, baffled. 

"You're not...upset?" She approaches the topic he started.

"What?! I was hoping for this!" He booms joyously.

"Uh...you were?" She asks, now completely unsure what this conversation was about, but slowly relaxing.

"And believe me, it only gets better! Just wait til you spill a Nadder's guts for the first time." 

Hicca's elated expression sinks. 

"And mount your first Gronckle head on a spear. What a feeling!" Stoick laughs and smacks Hicca on the shoulder, sending her into the wall, aggravating her healing injuries. "You really had me going there, hun. All those years of the worst Viking Berk has ever seen! Odin, it was rough. I almost gave up on you!" 

Hicca gets back up, grimacing in the irony of it all and the pain, physical and psychological. 

"And all the while, you were holding out on me! Thor almighty!" Stoick grabs a stool and sits. His massive frame nearly fills the tiny room.

"Ahhhhh. With you doing so well in the ring, we finally have something to talk about." 

Pregnant pause. Hicca averts her eyes nervously. Stoick adjusts, awkwardly clearing his throat. After a long, uncomfortable silence, Stoick finally breaks it. 

"Oh, I... brought you something." He presents a horned helmet. "To keep you safe in the ring."

"Wow. Thanks." Hicca accepts the helmet, looking it over.