Chapter 8

"What do you mean by "they're not married," Tom? I let them share a bedroom. Oh, the disgrace! And the way they looked at each other. You could've fooled me twice. They certainly seemed married, if you understand my meaning." Mamie exclaimed, turning over the bacon frying in the pan.

"Mamie, calm down. If that man is as good a gentleman as he comes across, I'm sure nothing happened between them. Christians can be put in tempting situations and rise above."

"True, Tom. But, what if that girl's father finds her and she's been alone all night with that man? What are we going to tell the man? We allowed it!"

"An honest mistake, to be sure, dear. Don't worry about it anymore. Is that coffee ready? I had a late night myself!" Tom grinned and circled his hands around his wife's expanded waistline.

"Oh, Tom." She giggled, feeling like a new bride all over again. He certainly had made her feel like they were on their honeymoon, keeping her up well past their normal bedtime.

She removed the pan from the fire and poured him a cup of coffee. She placed the eggs and toast on his plate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The loud voices startled Corinne out of a peaceful sleep. A strong arm was still draped across her fully clothed waist as a spoon-positioned Ryne softly snored in her ear. The scandal of sleeping in a bed next to a man who was not her husband escaped her for the moment; she was so completely enraptured with being near him.

In fact, that was what the lady and gentleman of the house were "discussing" so loudly. It was too early in the morning, and Corinne wanted to sleep a little longer before being jostled by the carriage for another long day.

Corinne tried to move the hand that pinned her to the bed so she could freshen up before facing their hosts. She was a little embarrassed. She tried to speak up, but didn't, and now poor Mamie was in a moral struggle over the whole situation.

"Don't get up yet. Let me dream a few more minutes that you're my wife." Ryne's voice was husky and thick first thing in the morning, sending a delightful shiver through Corinne's body. The man was too good to be true.

"Unfortunately, sir, our hosts are in a bit of a bind. The lady of the house assumed we were married and is very upset we spent the night in the same room. I feel we should exit as gracefully as possible, apologizing for leading her to such conclusions." In response, he pulled her closer and kissed her neck.

"Or, we could abandon propriety and integrity and give her a real shock." He laughed at the gasp that came from Corinne. "I'm not serious, but I like your reaction." His smile was contagious. "Go freshen up, fix your hair, or whatever it is you girls do in the mornings." With that, he rolled her over to face him, and kissed her, leaving her breathless when he sat up to put his boots on.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ryne walked out, seeing Tom sitting at the breakfast table. "Good morning."

"Good morning, son. Did you sleep well?" Tom asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Like a baby. Of course, anything is better than sleeping, or attempting to sleep, on a train."

"And nothing beats having a soft woman next to a man either, huh?" Tom hinted.

"Now listen here. I mean no disrespect, but she is of the utmost integrity, as I told your brother last night. We're sorry there was a misunderstanding, but truly, nothing happened to compromise the girl's virtuous nature."

"Simmer down, boy. Simmer down. I figured as much. You seem like too much of a gentleman to take advantage of a girl. But, she was tempting, wasn't she?"