Chapter 12

The men were up with a rooster crow in the distance. In the sunlight, the Sheriff could see they weren't too far away from Gerald and Hester Sue's house. Had he thought they could go further, they would've stayed in their barn last night. It would've been warmer. Ryne seemed to be reserved, yet determined, and Arlen was introspective. Neither spoke to the other, causing the Sheriff to wonder if everything was going to pan out like it should between them.

"Ready, gentlemen? We have a damsel to rescue!" He laughed at his own joke, though searching for a woman in danger did make him feel like a knight more than a sheriff.

"Giddyup!" The others called out to their steeds and the men were off.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hester Sue was up with the rooster, and already had bread baking for lunch and some cornbread ready for breakfast. She tried to keep butter churned, so having butter for the cornbread was common. She scrambled a few eggs and poured the coffee into a cup for her husband, who was returning from the milk barn.

"Fresh milk for me this morning, dear?" Hester Sue smiled, taking the bucket from Gerald.

"As always, love. Here you are! How's our guest this morning? The coach is gone, so I'm assuming the men went on their way."

"I haven't checked on her. She had such an ordeal yesterday. I think she just needs rest. As soon as breakfast is finished, I'll go wake her. Here's your coffee!"

He kissed his wife before taking the cup. He thought it was rather odd that Tom would sneak away in the dark, but he didn't know the whole situation, and wasn't able to speak with him last night before going to bed.

His wife had finished putting the eggs in a bowl, and the cornbread on a plate. She hurried towards the back of the house.

"GERALD! Come here, please, dear?" She hollered.

He put his cup down, took another bite of his cornbread, and went to see what the matter was that had his wife hollering from the other side of the house. She never raised her voice.

"She's gone. The window's agape and she isn't here. Her clothes are gone, too. You may need to send Michael for the Sheriff. I think the girl's been taken, again, and who knows what's become of Tom."

"PAW! MAW! COME QUICK!" David's voice echoed through the cabin, interrupting their conversation.

The couple shared a concerned glance before rushing towards the front of the house.

"What's the matter, David?" Gerald asked first, beating Hester Sue to the punch.

"It's Mr. Tom. He's hurt. Bad. We were riding back from checking the cattle and found him at the top of the drive, beaten badly, and barely alive. I came to get you. Lawrence is with him. Michael is headed for Erie to fetch Sheriff Will and Miss Mamie."

With another concerned glance, Gerald ran ahead to see about Tom. Hester Sue grabbed her herbs and witch hazel, along with some rags for injuries. With three boys, she was always prepared. She was soon behind her husband.

"Lord, you know what's happened here better than I do. Please, protect that sweet girl! And heal our friend, Tom!" She prayed as she neared the main road. When her eyes found Tom, she began to cry.

After a moment, Gerald came and held her. "He's going to be alright, sweetheart. It's mostly bruises."

She pulled away at his words, and went to assess the injuries. He had a swollen lip, a black eye, a bloody nose and knuckles, and where he was found, a small puddle of blood mingled with the dirt. His left leg was twisted at an odd angle. When David and Lawrence turned him over, eliciting a groan from the man, she looked at the back of his head, where she saw a large split on his head and a large bump, too.