Chapter 11 (part 1)

Matthew smirked as he walked away. He knew Corinne was inside that house. He just had to find a way to get to her. Where else could she have gone? No other homesteads were nearby. Staying in their barn for the night might give him a chance, if he could get past the sentinel driver, who was proving to be a greater hindrance. Matthew had no idea Corinne knew the man, or how, but he didn’t care either. He could get rid of this nuisance once they reached Boulder. He obviously knew the lady at the house, though he tried not to let on, and he knew Corinne was in there. An idea popped into his head like corn over the fire so sinister he scared himself.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’ll do. HA! They’ll never see it coming!” And with that he whistled a lively tune back to the carriage.

Tom felt an unease rising in his throat when Matthew laughed and then started whistling. He knew he was going to have to watch him closely tonight to make sure he was sleeping before dozing off himself. His main goal was to make it home safely to Mamie; the other part of that was to keep Corinne safe until her Pappa and Ryne caught up with them.

Tom somehow had to talk to Gerald. He’d find the window and stand guard with one of his friend’s guns. He knew if given the opportunity, Matthew would try to get through that window and take the girl. He also knew no good would come from that.

Finally, he approached his coach and horses. They whinnied to him.

“Come on. Let’s get you two some water and grass. Mr. Richards, are you ready?”

“Yes.” Matthew growled from inside the carriage. He was agitated, and was ready to get this part of the trip over with, dispose of the driver, and marry Corinne. He knew that was the very short version of his plan, and he expected some resistance from Tom, from the homestead owners, and most definitely from Corinne. He also expected someone to catch up to them sooner than later from Erie. He hoped he had hurt Ryne badly enough that he wouldn’t pursue. Another chuckle escaped. He really hoped he’d killed him.

The coach lurched into motion, and fifteen minutes later, was turning into the long drive to the homestead. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Corinne was grateful for everything they’d given to her: a meal, a place to clean up and sleep, and though much too large, a change of clothes. Hester Sue was as sweet as Mamie, and even found a piece of cloth to tie it around her waist so that she wouldn’t feel like she was being swallowed with the dress.

“I wish I had daughters. I might have had a smaller dress for you. But, for what it’s worth, you look lovely enough and I will hopefully have yours clean and dry by morning. Would you like some tea? Dinner will be ready soon.”

“Yes, please, and thank you.” Corinne responded politely. Hester Sue had been kinder than she expected. She’d even sent her youngest son, not much younger than she was, for ice from the cold cellar to put on her nose and cheek. The swelling had gone down a bit after that. Her nose still hurt more than anything she’d ever felt in her life, but she’d be okay.

Her mind went to Ryne. She prayed again that he was okay. She also prayed for Tom’s safety. She felt guilty for the poor man being dragged into this terrible situation. He and Matthew had already been here. From what she could hear, Tom was acquainted with Hester Sue and her husband. He knew she was safe and Corinne hoped he was planning some sort of rescue. She had a mind to run off in the middle of the night herself, but knew how dangerous that could be to a woman. She almost preferred traveling with Matthew in the carriage to being completely alone and vulnerable and at the mercy of any ruffians who happened to pass her on the dirt highway. Staying with Hester Sue and Gerald would mean she was temporarily safe.