•36•

After actually utilizing the bathroom, to take care of my hygiene and what not, I left it and went into the bedroom and sat there. Derrick still stood at the door, glancing through the peep hole. I assumed they had eventually left 'cause he finally came in the room with me.

He let out a deep sigh of relief, "I don't know what they wanted or why they were here. But they went away after I didn't answer. I seen them going to other doors through the peep hole..hope they were looking for someone else and not us."

I sighed, "See, I said they'd look for us."

"They very well could've been looking for someone else. Don't start panicking."

"What's the chances they're looking for someone else 5 days after we've went missing from behind the police we were suppose to be following?"

He shrugged, "It's many chances and I'm not even saying you're wrong or overthinking—just don't panic."

"I'll try not to, but until then, what are we gonna do? What do we do if they come back?"

"Not answer like I just did." He nonchalantly replied

His nonchalant demeanor was making me mad, this is more serious than he's making it out to be.

"Derrick, try not to be so nonchalant. This isn't just police officers randomly knocking on our door—"

He sighed and sat next to me, then turned to me and grabbed my hands,  "Do you trust me?" He asked, staring in my eyes for an answer

"Yes."

"Do you think I'd ever steer you wrong?"

"Well when you're mad you migh—"

"It's a yes or no question." He said

"No."

"Do you think I would ever put you in harms way?"

"No."

"And do you think I'll protect you by any means necessary?"

"Yes."

"Without a doubt. Stop worrying, even if they are looking for us they not gettin' in here. Matter of fact, to ease your mind, we can find a different extended stay hotel to stay at instead of here, coo?" He asked while rubbing my hands with his thumbs. He placed a kiss on my forehead and got up. He started pulling on some clothes as if he was about to go somewhere.

"Where are you going?"

"Well you hungry, ain't you?"

"Yeah, but—"

"So I'm about to go get you something to eat." He replied

"Well how far are you going? I don't want you gone too long. I'll eventually get scared."

He pulled out a duffel bag that had his clothes in it. He pulled out a handgun and passed it to me, "You know how to use a gun?"

When he asked that a flashback appeared in my mind, one of when Troy and I were at this industry party and he pulled me in one of the hosts' room and beat me senseless for not "behaving." When he knocked me down, I remember falling near the closet and spotting a gun inside of it. I grabbed it and pulled it out on him but never used it. Sadly.

"No, I've never had to use one." I replied

"You should never have to, but for you to feel safe and protected—keep this. You can start getting all of our things together while I'm gone since we leaving tonight." He said

"Don't be gone too long." I replied

He said okay, kissing me on my forehead and exiting out.

I decided to occupy my mind by immediately packing our things.