Chapter 5

The morning of Bella and David's coronation arrived sooner than I expected, and with it came a sense of fear. Of what, I had no idea. What started as a knot in my stomach turned into full-blown panic as we got ready for the coronation. I was resplendent in a sea-foam green dress that fell just past my tail fin. Jay was as handsome as always in a matching tuxedo that brought out the green in his eyes.

He took my hand as we swam into the living room. Ready, he signed.

My heart was pounding, my hands clammy as I nodded, pasting a thin smile on my face. The Lost Soul Pendant rested at my throat, swinging in the current as we swam. We arrived in Pelathas around mid-morning, but it was already in full swing. Every shop had its wares out on display, showing off Pelathas' colors.

We approached the castle, the guards at the front solemn and still. They glanced at Jay and me, bowing before opening the large golden doors that led into the palace's enormous entryway.

A guard wearing a uniform of black and red swam toward us, bowing. He stretched out his hand for us to follow him. We swam in silence for a few minutes before coming a pair of identical golden doors, opened to reveal a cavernous room. Braziers hanging from each of the six soapstone columns lit up every part of the hall and mantled the walls in warm yellows. The large mirrors on the askew ceiling danced in the flickering light while memorials looked down upon the oaken floor of the enormous hall.

Light brown pews lined each side of the room, spacious enough to seat three rows of merpeople per pew. The massive thrones at the front took up the most space, each throne outfitted with black stitching. I was taken aback as I swam inside. Jay only smiled, squeezing my hand when we swam to our seats. Every mermaid and merman we passed bowed, several stopping to offer praises or compliments.

Jay accepted them with a smile, but I couldn't stop thinking about Brandon and Naia. I wouldn't put it past them to try and ruin the ceremony. I was pulled out of my thoughts as the heralds off to the side of the room lifted their fanfare trumpets, playing a short melody to announce the arrival of the prince and princess.

We all turned to the back of the room, every eye on the door as Bella swam in, beautiful as always in a red gown with black accents, the color complimenting her dark skin. Her long golden-brown hair was in a French braid, flowing down her back. David was next, in an identical shirt and jacket, his black hair swaying slightly in the current.

I took a shaky breath, exhaling deeply. David and Bella swam to the thrones, stopping in front of them. David smiled as he noticed me, whispering in the nearest page's ear. He nodded, quickly disappearing out a door to the side. Not a minute later, a mermaid with red hair swam in, her green eyes scanning the crowd.

When they settled on me, she inclined her head, nodding slightly. I understood her unspoken words. She would be off to the side interpreting the ceremony. A grateful expression appeared on my face. We were almost ready. As if my thoughts had summoned him, a middle-aged merman swam in, all eyes falling on him. I recognized him as the archbishop of Aegrem. He bowed at Jay and me before swimming up to David and Bella.

Every pew was filled, mermaids and mermen alike. We all sat as one, turning to the front of the room. The ceremony began with the archbishop mentioning David and Bella by name, then reciting Pelathas' national anthem. The archbishop then turned to David, speaking quietly to him.

The interpreter copied the question: Do you, David James Solomon, accept the responsibilities that come with wearing the crown and sitting on the throne? Do you swear to protect the citizens of Pelathas until your dying breath? David responded, his face solemn as the occasion demanded. He then turned to Bella, asking a similar question. She answered in turn, her face a mirror image of David's.

The archbishop then carefully lifted the ceremonial robes off a table on which they were set and handed one each to David and Bella. After they put them on, he turned to the crowd and asked a question. I glanced at the interpreter, following her hand movements: Do you, citizens of Pelathas and Aegrem, deem Prince David and Princess Isabella true contenders for the throne? Anyone who thinks these two are unfit to rule should speak now.

Many of us glanced around, waiting for the usual murmuring from the crowd. A few minutes passed with no interjection, so the archbishop turned back to David and Bella, lifting the crowns off the cushion on which they were set.

Suddenly, without any warning, the Lost Soul Pendant began to glow. All the color drained from my face as I looked down at it. Jay noticed as well, scanning the hall for anything amiss. I suddenly clutched Jay's arm, faltering when a merman swam in, eliciting shouts from the guards.

Chaos erupted a minute later as he put a hand on my back, his jaw clenched. Bella cried out, David supporting her with a hand on her arm as their father swam in, a cruel grin on his face. Before any of the guards got close, however, he produced a sword from his hip. The sickening sight of metal piercing flesh made my stomach turn. A heartbeat later, the guards went rigid, then collapsed on the floor, blood trickling down their uniforms from gaping wounds on their chests.

The familiar coppery scent of blood filled the water, threatening to trigger a full-on panic attack. Everything else fell away, my vision zeroing in on the merman in front of me. Their father swam to me, a crazed gleam in his eyes. I was frozen, eyes wide with terror. He clutched the Lost Soul Pendant with one hand and reached for me with his free one. I squeezed my eyes shut, whimpering. Then hands were on me, pulling me out of the room and into a hallway.

Bella and I clutched each other, trembling. David and Jay grabbed us and swam through multiple hallways, each of them identical to the one before it. Exhaustion weighed heavily on me, threatening to overtake me with every breath.

We finally arrived at the door to their suite. Jay put an arm around me as we swam inside. Two rooms occupied the suite, along with a couch and chairs in the sitting room. Bella and I each took a room, hugging each other tightly before parting. I'm so sorry. Her dark skin was pale; tears gleamed in her eyes as she nodded before swimming into her room and shutting the door. Jay followed me into our room, clutching my hand as I swam into bed.

I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here when you wake up. His eyes were concerned as he gazed at me, brushing a stray curl off my face.

I nodded, closing my eyes. After what just happened, I figured it would take me hours to fall asleep. But exhaustion dragged me under before I'd even closed my eyes.

Read and review!