Chapter 7

My nightmares were filled with the same scenario playing on a loop, over and over again: Jay's wide eyes, his shocked expression as he locked eyes with me, blood making a trail down his torso. But as it started over, for what felt like the millionth time, something was different. Instead of Barracuda holding the dagger, preparing to run Jay through, it was a mermaid, her black curly hair flowing behind her in the current.

As the mermaid turned her face toward me, it was like a punch to the gut. I took a stroke backwards, unable to believe what I was seeing. I was the one holding the dagger, smiling wickedly. Jay's face was deathly pale, his green eyes wide as he stared at me, pleading. All the water disappeared from my lungs, leaving me gasping as I watched myself run my husband through with a dagger.

I jerked awake, breathing unsteadily. Tears ran down my face before I even realized I was crying. The hand moved to my back, rubbing soothing circles. My body shook as I cried, unable to banish the image from my mind. David glanced at me. Jay's awake and asking for you.

Part of me was aching to see him; the other part was terrified. Even though I knew without a doubt that it was just a dream—that I could never even entertain the thought of harming him or the others—shame sluiced through me nonetheless. I nodded, hastily wiping tears off my cheeks, and rose. David took my hand, squeezing it gently. I needed to see him, to ascertain with my own eyes that he was alive, that he was healing.

I swam into his hospital room, biting back a sob at him in the bed, a large bandage covering his chest and most of his torso. The rest of his body and tail was covered by a blanket. Tears filled my eyes, spilling down my cheeks. He was fast asleep, his chest rising and falling albeit weakly. I covered my mouth to stifle the sob that was close to escaping as I brushed a lock of hair off his forehead.

His eyes fluttered open, darting around before finally landing on me. As soon as he noticed the tears on my cheeks, he smiled weakly and reached for my hand, rubbing his thumb over it. I took shaky breaths, trying not to focus on the image in my head: me running Jay through with the dagger. He took a breath before signing. Hey. I've missed you.

The tears came harder as he signed. His hands shook as he finished and placed them in his lap, the only sign of the exhaustion plaguing him. How are you feeling? My own hands shook as I signed.

Before he could answer, the door opened, and David swam in. His eyes landed on me before darting over to Jay. He spoke as he swam over to us, wrapping me in a hug. After we pulled apart, he started signing. I spoke to one of the doctors who operated on you. They said everything went fine, but you don't need to be out and about for a while. You'll stay here for a few more days, then be able to go home. They want to make sure everything heals properly.

He looked at both Jay and me as he finished. I glanced outside, but it was too dark to see. Had a whole day passed already?

The scene from my dream ran through my mind, sending chills down my spine. My steady breathing faltered, replaced by gasps for water. I couldn't breathe, couldn't stop seeing the dagger go through his chest and the light disappear from his eyes.

I rose from my chair so fast I almost knocked it over. I could feel David and Jay's eyes on me, but I wasn't thinking straight. I had to get out of there. I sped through the hospital, gasping as I reached the open water and sank to the ground. Tremors ran through my body as I sobbed, covering my face with my hands.

I'm not sure how long I stayed there—it could have been minutes or hours. My sobs eventually ceased, a heavy exhaustion settling into my bones. I was about to swim back inside when a shadow fell over me. Thinking it was Bella or David, I quickly wiped my eyes, glancing up at a blurry face. As my vision cleared, terror filled my veins. Barracuda stared back at me, a sadistic grin on his face. He had a dagger in his hand, angled towards my chest. Heartbeats before it pierced my skin, I was moving.

I screamed, rushing back into the hospital. My hands were trembling so violently I couldn't sign as David gripped my arms. I mouthed a single word, breathing shakily. Barracuda. He bolted from the room, presumably to warn the doctors and nurses. I swam towards Jay, his eyes wide, and grabbed his hand. I had a dagger, but Jay was defenseless.

Ire filled my veins as a mermaid swam in, concern and sadness warring for control in her eyes. My dagger was in my hand a heartbeat later. What are you doing here? Anger made my hands shake.

Naia winced, her eyes darting from me to Jay. I... I heard what happened. I'm so sorry.

I shook my head. She didn't get to do what she did and fake sympathy. Barracuda's outside. Did you tell him to come? Where's Brandon? My thoughts were a panicked frenzy.

She quickly shook her head, putting her hands out in front of her. Brandon doesn't know I'm here. Neither he nor I had any part in what happened. I was going to the market when I heard rumors of Aegrem's king being injured. I swam here as fast as I could.

This doesn't excuse what you did. You need to leave. I had no sympathy in my eyes whatsoever as I stared at her, the mermaid who I'd once called my sister. I glanced outside and rubbed my eyes. The thought of going out there and explaining what happened scared me more than I was willing to admit, but I had to warn everyone. What if it happened again?

David glanced at me, questions in his gaze. It was as if Naia wasn't even there. It took every ounce of energy in me to sign. I need to tell everyone what happened. Warn them.

He nodded, clearly understanding the anger and exhaustion in my gaze, and took my hand as I rose. I glanced at Jay. Leaving him, if only for a few minutes, sent bolts of fear through me. I'll be back soon.

David gripped my hand as we swam outside, surprised to find a large crowd already gathered. Mermen and mermaids alike bowed as they noticed me, concern in their eyes. My hands shook uncontrollably as I raised them.

Yesterday, my husband, Jay Singh was severely wounded in an attack by a merman named Barracuda. He is stable now, but is still in considerable pain. Earlier today, there was a sighting of Barracuda on the hospital grounds. Appropriate measures have been taken, but please, stay vigilant. I have also received word that Naia Singh had nothing to do with the attack, but we still need to be careful.. Prayers and well-wishes are needed and appreciated.

I exhaled, the strength leaving my body as I lowered my hands. How I made it back into the hospital and Jay's room, I have no idea. He gripped my hand as I collapsed in the chair beside his bed, exhaustion hitting me head-on as I closed my eyes.

Read and review!