Chapter 19

The palace in Aegrem had been a lot fancier in the past than it was now. A mermaid suddenly swam in, her black hair pulled into a bun. Her purple-and-grey gown was immaculate, not a stitch out of place. A smile was already forming in her eyes as she opened her mouth, calling for someone. This was Jay's mother, Alicia.

My heart skipped a beat as a young merboy swam in, his green eyes wide. I could do nothing but stare at him, my own eyes filling with tears. His brown hair was slightly tousled, just like it was now.

She hugged him, kissing him on the cheek before ushering him out the door. The scene immediately changed to a few years later, the feeling of love transforming into a feeling of fear.

My heart was in my throat as the front door opened, Jay swimming inside with a worried look on his face. His mother sped to him, gripping his arms as he spoke. A heartbeat later, another merman swam in, a wicked grin on his face. Noah.

Alicia cried out, her face going ashen. Instead of moving to her, or Jay, he focused on a corner in the living room—the corner where I was floating. Although I knew he couldn't see me—no one could, since I wasn't really there—a chill raced down my spine nonetheless.

My head spun as I woke, Noah's face etched into my mind. Jay's side of the bed was cold; he'd been up hours before me. I got dressed and swam down to breakfast, Claudia trailing me. I bit back a wince as I sat down at the table in the dining room. A sharp ache began in my shoulder not a minute later, like someone was digging their nails into it.

The food was ash in my mouth, but I ate as much as I could, keeping a bland smile on my face. Jay swam in just as I was finishing up. He kissed my head as he swam to his place beside me. I managed all of a smile before it happened.

The windows in the dining room were suddenly draped in heavy cloth, blocking out all light. Torches were lit, flurries of motion happening all around us. Jay motioned to Claudia before grabbing my hand and kissing me deeply.

Go to our rooms. I'll be there as soon as I can. Don't open it for anyone but me. Two short knocks, then one long knock. That's our signal. He hurriedly relayed the message to Claudia, who nodded and led me away.

I may have looked calm on the outside, but my insides were a jumble of nerves. Noah was responsible for this. I knew it. The question remained, however: Was he already inside the palace?

We swam through the hallways at breakneck speed, dodging servants and guards, all rushing to safety. I had barely put my hand on the doorknob before I felt a rough hand on my arm, pulling me away. A cry broke from my lips as green eyes met mine—so eerily similar to those of his twin brother.

Noah sneered at me. You're the infamous Queen Nerissa? My brother talks about you all the time. Pity he isn't around to save you.

I swallowed hard, my heart beating so hard I thought it would shatter. His signing was flawless, but that wasn't what stole the water from my lungs. It was the grey pendant hanging on a string dangling from his hand.

Shock and horror warred for control as I stared at him. You... you're working with Brandon?

He nodded, an eyebrow arched as he grinned. My head spun as I slowly put the pieces together. The world slammed to a halt when I raised my hands. You killed your parents. Why? Why would you do that?

Noah shook his head. It wasn't me that dealt the blow. It was Brandon. I wanted to, but he said it would look too suspicious if I did. Our parents always had the wrong idea. They thought if they led with kindness and were just rulers, their kingdom would bow at them, no questions asked. They were wrong. You have to lead with an iron fist. That's what your sister was doing, right? Before you killed her.

My hands curled into fists at my sides, my jaw clenched as I stared at him. I raised my hand, aiming at his cheek, but before I could so much as move my hand, he grabbed me. I had a heartbeat to realise what was happening before the impact. Pressure began in my head as I felt it connect with stone.

I must've blacked out, because when I opened my eyes again, I was on a bed in a different room. Blurry faces moved in my vision, mermaids and mermen alike, occasionally glancing at me. I groaned, and suddenly hands were on me—stroking my hair, wiping sweat off my forehead. Green eyes appeared above me and I panicked for a heartbeat before recognising the warmth in them.

Jay. I mouthed my husband's name as he grabbed and squeezed my hand. He exhaled, running a hand through his brown hair.

Are you okay? David said he went to check on you and Claudia, but only Claudia was there. His eyes darkened as realisation hit him. It was like flipping a switch: his nostrils flared as his hands clenched into fists and he rose from his chair beside my bed.

I tried to sit up, but blinding pain erupted in my head whenever I tried to move. Strong hands gripped my arms, easing me against the pillows. Grey eyes met mine, filled with concern. Thank the gods you're alright. I was so worried when I couldn't find you.

It took me a minute to focus on his signing, thanks to the throbbing in my head, but after a minute or so, I finally figured out his message. David was above me, his normally dark skin void of colour. It was Noah, wasn't it? That's who Jay is looking for.

I nodded, tears filling my eyes. I know who killed his parents, David. Brandon. Noah was helping him, but Brandon was the one who actually dealt the blow.

I wanted to tell him about the Loyalty Pendant, but I suddenly couldn't keep my eyes open. The shock of what had happened coupled with the blow to my head was quickly dragging me under. The last thing I saw was David's worried grey eyes before darkness overtook me.

Read and review!