Chapter 21

I couldn't breathe as I swam down the multiple hallways of Rosewood Manor, struggling to find a door to the outside. Every turn either led to another room or a dead end. I could feel eyes on me, but every time I turned around, nobody was there. I finally stopped at a door near Tiger Shark's old rooms.

A light shone from underneath the closed door, but that was all I could tell. My hand shook as I pushed on the doorknob and opened the door. I could only gape at what stood before me, fear and horror smothering me. A merman floated in the center of the room, his gaze blank.

That wasn't what stole the water from my lungs. It was the grey pendant hanging from his neck, the empty expression in his green eyes.

I froze as he spotted me, his gaze turning wolfish. Noah. The world seemed to slow to a crawl as he moved toward me. My heart was beating so hard I thought it would crack my ribs. He had a manic look in his eyes when he reached me. I flinched as his hand caressed my cheek.

I hurriedly threw myself awake, shaking and gasping for water. When a hand landed on my shoulder, I nearly jumped out of my skin. My hands were clenched into fists as I rose and got dressed. Jay was at my side, worry in his green eyes. I tried my hardest not to flinch away.

I swam down to the kitchen, immediately relaxing as I saw the open windows, felt the fresh water caress my sticky face. The thought of leaving the house, trying to focus on anything... It made me want to dive back under the covers and never emerge. Especially since Noah's declaration about the pendant was fresh in my mind.

A warm pair of hands settled on my shoulders, the touch not meant to pressure, but relax. I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths. When I inhaled, I took in all the fear and horror from my dream; exhaling drove that fear and horror out into the water where it could no longer touch me. Jay's green eyes met mine, worry and concern etched on his face.

Are you okay? Those three words almost made me break down right there and then. Tears formed in my eyes, but I quickly blinked them away. I rose and kissed him deeply, pressing my forehead to his.

I love you. More than anything. Despite the lump in my throat, my hands were steady as I signed.

The concern still shone in his eyes but he nodded. Me too. More than you could ever know.

I quickly swam to my room and packed a bag—enough for a day or so. I had no idea how long it would take to find Noah, or even where Naia's body was. When I swam back down to the kitchen, everyone was awake. Multiple faces stared at me, all wearing concerned expressions.

I swam to each of them in turn. Bella was first. Her normally dark skin was ashen, her grey eyes wide. When I threw my arms around her, I could feel her shaking against me. I pulled back, looking into her eyes. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine.

Her eyes filled with tears as she shook her head. I could practically see the questions in her eyes.

David was next. He shook his head, worry in his gaze. I grabbed his hand. I'll be fine.

Meri was shaking with the force of her tears as I swam in front of her. I love you so much. She threw her arms around me, her tears soaking my hair.

Jay was last. I took his hand, leading him into the living room. I wanted to tell you away from everyone. I'm going to find Naia's body. Noah says there may be a way to bring her back to life using the Lost Soul Pendant.

Multiple emotions flitted across Jay's face, almost too quick to identify: anger, fear, and worry. I kissed him again, deeply, before grabbing my bag and leaving the house. It took me half a day to swim to Nepptheas; it was dusk when I arrived.

As if he'd somehow sensed my arrival, a merman was waiting at the entrance, green eyes glittering with malice. At that grin, that arrogant smirk, I dove deeper inside myself than I'd ever dared to face—somewhere no-one and nothing could reach me. I allowed him to take my hand, his grip like ice, and lead me to a secluded spot near bunches of seaweed.

What now? My expression seemed to say.

Noah snapped his fingers; a merman swam up to us with red hair and eyes so brown they were almost black. This is Taylor. A cruel grin was on his face as he disappeared behind a rock, reappearing moments later with a young mermaid's body, her emerald-green eyes frozen open. Keeping any emotion from my face was an act of sheer will as I stared at my youngest sister's body.

When the coldness of the pendant hit my neck, I lost all sense of myself. I bent down and grasped Naia's hand, not even recoiling at the coldness of her skin. My mind was blank as I took a deep breath and gripped the pendant with my free hand. Ghosts appeared out of the corners of my eyes, taunting me.

It was very difficult blocking out the others, but I managed as I focused on an image of Naia in my head: her emerald-green eyes bright with laughter, her mouth stretched into a smile. I barely felt the hand that Taylor placed on my shoulder. If I'd had any sense of myself, I would've thought it a comforting touch.

For a few seconds, nothing happened. I could feel the pendant quickly draining my strength, but I held on, gripping Naia's hand tighter. Her eyes flew open, the colour quickly returning to her cheeks as she gasped for water.

I swayed as I let go of Naia's hand, the world darkening at the corners of my vision. Faces blurred in my vision, the world tilting as I grabbed my bag and unsteadily swam away. Before I'd gotten more than a few feet, I faltered, my head spinning. Strong hands gripped my arms, supporting my weight.

I looked up and saw a blurry face with black hair. If I'd had any energy left, I would've tried to sign. Blackness swallowed me up before I could so much as lift my hands.

Regaining consciousness was slow and painful. Every muscle throbbed, every bone ached. I had no idea how long I'd been out, but when I opened my eyes, familiar faces stared back at me. The only thing I could do was blink. Anything else required too much energy.

Jay squeezed my hand. Blink if you can understand me.

I did. David brushed a limp curl off my forehead, putting a steadying hand on my back.  Blink twice if you're okay.

I did as he instructed, though it felt like an anvil was sitting on my eyelids. Familiar red-gold hair appeared in my vision. Meri swam up to us, carrying a tray. On it were soft, tender foods—just enough for me to regain my strength. My arm shook as I raised it, but I managed to eat a few bites.

Tears filled my younger sister's eyes, quickly spilling down her cheeks. As if he'd been anticipating it, Jay swam to the door and opened it, revealing a merman in Nepptheas' colours. He bowed before handing Jay a letter. Jay thanked him before swimming back to us.

His eyes flew across the page, all the colour draining from his face as he finished. He faltered, David supporting him with a hand on his back. Bella swam to his side, concern in her eyes. A similar expression appeared on her face as she read the letter.

Jay swam to my side, his face pale. Naia, Brandon and Noah have disappeared. But there's been reports of murders popping up all over Nepptheas. Someone has taken up the mantle.

I closed my eyes, trying to mask my fear. Not just at his words, but at what they implied. I knew who it was. I didn't want to believe it, but it was staring me in the face. Alyssa.

When I had mastered myself, I looked into my husband's eyes. I didn't even have to sign. He took my hand and squeezed it. I took a shuddering breath, already dreading the long swim to Nepptheas. Time to go home.

Final chapter! Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed and favourited!