Chapter 16

I didn't get out of bed the following day. Or the next. David and Jay visited me in shifts, rousing me long enough to eat or drink before leaving me to the darkness and solitude of our bedroom. I barely slept, lest the same image play in my head over and over: seeing Meri's dead body on the seafloor, her beautiful red-gold hair stained with blood.

On the third day, grief forced me out of bed and back to reality. Or, at least, as much reality as I would subject myself to. I moved through the palace like a ghost, barely paying attention to my surroundings. When the hallways became too confining, my rooms too stuffy, I snuck out through a servant entrance, desperate for fresh water.

I floated in place for several minutes, breathing deeply. Almost immediately, I felt my muscles relax, a tension I hadn't realized I'd been carrying easing with each exhale. I nearly jumped out of my skin as I whirled around, a hand on the knife at my side.

Claudia had her hands raised in front of her, a frightened look on her face. I immediately released my grip on the knife and sheathed it, an apologetic look on my face. I'm so sorry! I've just been a little... on edge lately.

She nodded, her hands moving fluidly through the water. That's to be expected. Shall I accompany you to your destination?

I didn't have the heart to tell her no. Plus, with Bella back home in Pelathas, it was nice to have someone else to talk to in the castle. We chatted as we swam, both of us offering bits and pieces of ourselves. Claudia had a sister, Jessica, with whom she was very close. I could see the sadness in her gaze as she talked about her. I told her about Meri, and after a moment of hesitation, I told her about Naia as well.

Before I knew it, we'd reached the outskirts of Aegrem. My gaze drifted northward, as if I could see all the way to Nepptheas. Claudia glanced sidelong at me, sensing my nostalgia. You miss it, don't you? Her hands were steady as she signed.

I blew out a breath, considering my answer. I shouldn't, considering all the bad things that happened there, but in a way, some good came out of it also. I met my husband and my two closest friends there. But also, I got the news about my father and learned that my mother betrayed me. So it holds good and bad memories.

She nodded. Focus on all the good that came out of it.

I gave her a gentle smile in return. We continued swimming, companionable silence between us. It was only when we'd turned back toward Aegrem that Claudia suddenly froze, going rigid beside me. I halted as well, glancing at her, the tears that had formed in her eyes. My hands were already raised before I followed her gaze, my body stiffening as I saw what had her so frightened.

A girl about Meri's age was lying on the seafloor, fresh blood leaking from a wound on her chest. Her turquoise eyes were frozen open, a look of horror on her pale face. Her long strawberry-blonde hair was speckled with blood, her chest and torso covered in it. Claudia tugged on my arm, her face deathly pale as silent tears rolled down her face.

She stared at me, her gaze pleading. I let myself be led away, the girl's horror-stricken face frozen in my mind. We'd only taken a few strokes when multiple mermen surrounded us, all wearing crossbows and menacing expressions. I scanned their uniforms, fear piercing my chest when I recognized the green-and-black stitching. Nepptheas' soldiers.

Their leader—a merman with obsidian hair and eyes—wrenched my arm from Claudia's grasp, tugging me against him. I could feel his oily smile as he scanned me from head to tail. One of his lieutenants smirked as he swam to us, handing me a folded piece of paper. All the colour drained from my face as I scanned the paper, the loopy, yet familiar scrawl.

Brandon has been looking for you. He guarantees you'll enjoy this one. She'll be waiting for you behind the Whispering Reef at dusk. Don't be late.

There was no signature, yet I knew who the sender was. A shiver ran down my spine, that one word playing on a loop over and over in my head—she'll—as I crumpled the paper in my fist, avoiding the lieutenant's gaze.

I arranged my face into an expression of bored nonchalance, which was difficult considering my heart was slamming against my rib cage. My fingers shook as I wrote my response, the only sign of my nervousness. Have you forgotten who I am? I am the queen of Aegrem. And that is my lady, Claudia Mercer of Pelathas.

Claudia's expression was a mirror image of mine, though her hand was gripping my own tightly. The lieutenant sneered at us before releasing me. Even though it terrified me, I stared him down as he and his men disappeared.

We swam away at a leisurely pace, my hand still firmly gripping Claudia's. The minute we left them behind, we sped home, our tails whipping the water into a frenzy. The note was a dead weight in my pocket as we arrived at the castle. I could feel Jay's stare, but kept my eyes downcast, lest I have a hysterical breakdown right there and then.

He didn't question me, just murmured to Claudia and wrapped an arm around me. My chest hitched as we swam, silent tears rolling down my face. Only when we reached my room did I let myself release the torrent of tears that was dangerously close to escaping.

Jay's eyes never left my face as he signed. What happened? I panicked when I couldn't find you. Rochelle and Stella said you'd gone for a swim and that Claudia was with you, but that you'd been gone for some time.

I knew that he was just concerned, but I couldn't shake the feeling of the commander's eyes on me. My hands shook so badly as I pulled out the note that I almost dropped it. I didn't wait to see his expression when he read it before heading into the bathing room.

The water was scalding, but I welcomed the pain. I scrubbed myself until my skin stung and every trace of the merman's touch was erased from my body. I gripped Jay's hand as we swam into bed, noting his stony expression. Please don't be angry with me. I... it was my fault. I should've been more careful.

His green eyes softened as he looked at me, pressing a kiss to my forehead. I could never be mad at you. I'll go and face Brandon myself if that's what it takes. I won't let him hurt anyone else.

I wrapped my arms around him, pressing my cheek against his back as he rolled onto his side. We stayed like that until exhaustion tucked me into its sweet embrace.

Read and review!