Seventeen | LA, the second time

"THIS IS TWO DATES IN TWO WEEKS WITH TWO GUYS," MINA YELPED THROUGH THE PHONE, HER WORDS ACCOMPANIED BY A GASP. "Who even are you?"

Teagan felt her face burn bright pink, a familiar nervous feeling building in her gut. Though this time, rather than simply being a fear of awkwardness, it was accompanied by a feeling of guilt, as if she were doing something wrong. It hadn't existed before she had called her sister.

She frowned as she adopted a harsher tone than usual, "Mina, it isn't a date. First of all, Ben and I, friends. As we discussed. Second of all, Techno and I, friends. And even if I liked him as more than that, I would hate for a first date to happen because he felt sorry for me. So please don't insinuate things that aren't true."

Mina blew out a breath, nearly scoffing at the explanation. "Say whatever you like, Teags. Anything that gets you to sleep at night. Anyone else in the free world would call spending 2 hours on a train to see someone for lunch a date, but if Teagan Kato says no, then it simply can't be, hmm?"

Teagan had called her sister to have someone that would keep her company for at least a portion of her train ride, and also hopefully to have someone to help soothe her nerves. But all her big sister was doing was making her angry.

On one hand, she didn't specifically hold it against her. It was a stressful week for Mina, one that she had been waiting with anticipation for for quite some time, yet had not at all gone to plan. She was frustrated and upset and hurting, wondering if she had chosen the wrong career path. It had been along time since Teagan had seen her sister so frazzled, and to a very deep extent, she felt awful for her.

But on the other hand, Teagan would've appreciated a little bit of grace. Especially coming from the one person who know her and her character better than anyone else. There was no way that Mina was unaware of how her words would spark discomfort in her little sister.

Teagan shifted in her seat, doing her best not to raise her voice. There were more people on this train in comparison to the last one, and she wasn't a fan of having people stare at her. She huffed, "I see I'm bothering you. I'll let you get back to your day. I'll make sure to text you if I get murdered in LA, though."

She heard Mina let out an annoyed breath. "Text me when you get there. And text me if internet boy does anything wrong," she insisted.

Teagan rolled her eyes. She was 21. How long would it take for Mina to stop treating her like some sheltered child?  "Oh, so you care about my feelings now?" she tossed back, a layer of vinegar to her tone.

"Would you give it a rest? I'm sorry I called it a date or whatever. You don't need to overreact," Mina half-apologized. She sounded a bit like she couldn't be bothered.

Teagan scowled, her lips pressed together to keep from saying something and making matters worse. Sibling squabbles weren't rare for her and Mina, but they still always had a way to make her just as angry as they did growing up.

"I'm hanging up," she deadpanned.

The comment seemed to shake Mina a bit from her annoyance, as the tone of her voice softened just a little bit. "I thought you wanted someone to talk to on the train ride?"

"I'd rather sit in silence than talk to someone who I'm apparently only going to argue with," Teagan explained with very little emotion. Just to give her older sister a little more of a jab, she added, "I'll just call Nico."

She heard her sister scoff as she tried to downplay her annoyance. "And I suppose it's my fault that we're arguing?"

Teagan was ready for this conversation to be over. "I don't care whose fault it was. I'm one thought away from a panic attack and I don't need you raising my blood pressure more."