Four: Soccer mum

"So Coach Eddy, is it true that you've been signed up to join a State League club ?"

When a couple of mothers of the pre-schoolers in Eddy's little soccer school approached him at the end of his lesson for a chat, Eddy didn't expect being asked such a question.

"Oh, no, that's not true. ...Where did you hear that from ?"

"Well my brother plays semi-pro and he said he overheard about you in training. He was very impressed and proud that his nephew is learning soccer from a State Leaguer !!"

Eddy smiled politely.

"Well actually I haven't made it into any teams yet, I'm just training with them at the moment."

"Oh. Well you'll have to make sure you train hard so that you can get accepted!!"

"Yes, that's what I'm hoping to do, thank you."

"Please let us know when you do get in, we would love to bring our boys to watch you play a game."

"Wow, I never thought about asking the children to come and watch me play, that would be fantastic. Thank you, I will make sure I will let you know..!"

A few hours later, Eddy was in Brett's car, on their way home from practice.

Eddy told Brett how some of his little students might come and watch his game if he makes it into a team.

"Hey Eddy, that's great that the parents are so supportive"

"Yeah, do you think the kids might find it cool to see their coach in a big game?"

"Absolutely! They'll be so excited to go see a game where you'd have to pay to watch it."

"Do the games cost money to watch?"

"Yeah, of course, they do. It would be free for the little kids but for the adults, definitely. It's semi-pro. You get paid for playing, where do you think that money comes from ?"

"Wow..."

Brett stopped his car in front of Eddy's house.

"Here we are. Hey Eddy, how are things with your family these days?"

"Not too bad Brett. We talk to each other at dinner now. It's been quite pleasant."

"That's great Eddy, I'm really pleased to hear that."

"I almost died laughing when Belle told me about the time she called you about me. She surely knows nothing about soccer."

"I know right. That conversation was painful."

"Yeah, I laughed so hard imagining your face when you spoke to her. She said you sounded frustrated with her but I don't think she quite appreciates why."

They both laughed out loud.

"She even said she'd come and watch my first game. For someone who never plays or watch any sports, that's a pretty big deal."

"Yeah, I agree. That's great Eddy. I suppose you better get going."

"Yep. Thank you, Brett, for everything. Good night."

There was a knock on the door and Brett looked up from his desk.

"Eddy? What brings you here ?"

"Hi... I called your receptionist before and she said you'd be here all day today so I should be able to see you if I just came in."

"Yeah, sure. I must've been on a call when you rang. Come in. Sit down. Would you like a drink or something ?"